Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike Share in Waterloo Region
Just got a chance at lunch here to read the whole article - wow, spot on. Hits all the points I'm trying to drive home! I had no idea SoBi in Hamilton was so new - the first time we used it, it must have been literally like a month old or something.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
(08-10-2017, 08:53 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 08:52 AM)tomh009 Wrote: This boggles the mind (from the same Record article):

Why on earth not?  If getting people to use the bikes is not the goal, then what is?

Providing an amenity to the economically disadvantaged.

I would say that's what the Working Center does with Recycle Cycles. I don't see CAB helping with that goal. For the cost of the annual CAB membership you could get your own bike at Recycle Cycles.
(08-10-2017, 12:01 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: This is a particular area in which operating “like a business” is something more organizations should do. There is no point in running some great program if it hardly benefits anybody. If something is a good idea, it should be expanded to help all those who can be helped. And if a program would be excessively expensive to run in a way that would help many, than almost certainly it is also too expensive to run for the small group, given the small number of people who benefit.

Thanks, agree with this 100%.  Operating like a business doesn't mean that there always needs to be a profit motive, but we should try to get the maximum benefit for the money (or volunteer effort) we spend on a program.
(08-10-2017, 08:52 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 08:27 AM)highlander Wrote: From an article in The Record today:

This boggles the mind (from the same Record article):

Quote:CAB was set up to provide an inexpensive way for people to get access to a bike, and hasn't focused much on gaining membership, said co-ordinator Paulina Rodriguez.

Why on earth not?  If getting people to use the bikes is not the goal, then what is?  (Edit: I am not blaming Paulina Rodriguez for this as she has just taken over the program, but I really do question the priorities.)

It might be just the excuse they are using on why their membership base is so low. AKA we made this movie for the fans not the critics when in reality it just sucks
The Working Centre has unfortunately been much more interested in developing something novel with their bikesharing approach (i.e. a different way to do small city bikeshare) than in doing something that works.