Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
(01-11-2022, 04:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Now if only we could drink a wine or some beer in the park too. Well, okay, you can and I do all the time, but I don't think it's technically allowed which is just archaic. It'd be great to grab some food, light alcohol and sit on the grass with friends for an afternoon.

One of my favourite places in Berlin is Tempelhofer Feld because you can just chill out in a huge open, historical park space all day, eat good food, drink, have fun and find your way home on the U or S-Bahn after dark.

Edit: There's some vague parallels between the old bus station and Templehof. It was, obviously, an old airport. Berlin had all these plans to redevelop it into some new district for the city. But local activists and residents kept pressuring Berlin to consider turning the area into a public space. Now, it is one of Berlin's largest parks and is enjoyed by millions of people. I hope we can try to turn the Charles Street site into something similar, rather than sell it off for a ridiculous sports stadium or condo development. Maybe we can even call it Tempelhof Square, given our links to Berlin... :^)

I'd be good with a good public space -- but by good, I mean, really good. I see two options, sell for condos, OR, do a good job and make it a great place for the public to come to year round. I sort of like the idea of a large water feature (like a large fountain) and outdoor market of sorts, with addition of trees or some sort of shade feature.

But if the plan was to cheap out on it, and do the minimum, then, no, just sell for density condos/apartments/office/retail.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - by jeffster - 01-11-2022, 10:32 PM