Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
(02-08-2021, 01:21 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 12:54 PM)westwardloo Wrote: At least there is retail space. Surprised we haven't already heard of the dentist office and bank that will be taken up the space. In all seriousness I hope that a nice restaurant takes some of this retail space. Kitchener has some great restaurants, but it feels like uptown has a better selection. I find myself biking to uptown more times than not if I go out for dinner (Pre-pandemic).

I feel like 1 Vic ended up not terribly. Yes, it has a bank and realtor, but those are at least ground-level things people walk in to. The Garment St development will struggle with retail being so far from King St, so the sleep clinic is less surprising.

I actually have the opposite opinion of DTK vs uptown for restaurants. I'll head up to uptown for Princess Cafe, Loloan, sometimes Jane Bond, but that's tiny compared to the number of good restaurants in DTK.
Those are 3 great choices I also enjoy the huether(mostly because of arguable the best patio in the region), white rabbit, owl of Minerva, king st. trio and Kentucky bourbon. 

I know a pandemic has probably shifted how a lot of the bigger retailers intend to expand their businesses in terms of brick and mortar, but I would love for some Mall or strip mall oriented retailers to open up urban shop in downtown. I am thinking of a lululemon, Urban outfitters, the Gap (i know they plan on closing most of their mall storefronts for off mall locations so maybe a move to downtown), a sportscheck, or with all that money Gamestop made maybe they can open a downtown location instead of having 2 along fairway rd. Or maybe adventure guide could move into downtown. I used to go there all the time until they moved out to the boardwalk. 

Obviously I am living in dream land, unfortunately right now chain retailers don't see the need to invest in urban storefronts in KWC. Don't get me wrong I like the mom and pop shops feel our downtown and uptown have, but I think that the retail environment as a hole would feel a boost from a bigger name retailer opening up.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | U/C - by westwardloo - 02-08-2021, 02:09 PM