Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
(07-18-2018, 11:07 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 09:55 AM)Watdot Wrote: https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...tos-988235

Well that sure clears things up. Great to see this project getting started into the construction phase. If you want a good chuckle, and read the comment section below the article in the Kitchener News. Another negative comment from someone who likely hasn't been to DTK in years. I am done there on a regular basis and have no issues.

The second comment was "we moved here in the early 1960's...." ... that's more than 55 years ago, most likely. And sorry for saying it, but some old folks just want the 'good 'ol days' back. DTK has been getting better the past few years. It still has a lot of work, but it's turned the corner for sure.

(07-18-2018, 11:36 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Many remember Downtown from the 1960s and 1970s, when it was still an important destination for retail and services and problems of homelessness and drugs were not as apparent.  Those seem to be the key features by which "nostaligiaists" judge the Downtown.  I have friends who sniff at Downtown to this day, somehow not grasping that it is no longer the city's retail hub and seriously put off by (i.e. afraid of) anything not middle class in appearance.  The restaurants, coffee houses, cultural amenities and events, and tech employment seem to have zero impact on that way of thinking.  For me, if I were obliged to live in the Kitchener suburbs and never spent time Downtown, I'd be looking to stick a sharp object into my neck ....

walking through the area at 10 or 11 at night in the winter is an odd experience,
(07-18-2018, 09:40 PM)darts Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 11:36 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Many remember Downtown from the 1960s and 1970s, when it was still an important destination for retail and services and problems of homelessness and drugs were not as apparent.  Those seem to be the key features by which "nostaligiaists" judge the Downtown.  I have friends who sniff at Downtown to this day, somehow not grasping that it is no longer the city's retail hub and seriously put off by (i.e. afraid of) anything not middle class in appearance.  The restaurants, coffee houses, cultural amenities and events, and tech employment seem to have zero impact on that way of thinking.  For me, if I were obliged to live in the Kitchener suburbs and never spent time Downtown, I'd be looking to stick a sharp object into my neck ....

walking through the area at 10 or 11 at night in the winter is an odd experience,

Not unlike any other major metropolitan city.
Looks like construction ended up starting today! 
[Image: OrpfklJ.jpg]
Does anyone know how tall the building will be in metres? Will it be taller than the Sun Life tower?
It's going to be 31 storeys, so it should be 93m (assuming 3m per storey). Wikipedia says the Sun Life building is 78m.
(07-20-2018, 03:25 PM)PassTheBruce Wrote: Does anyone know how tall the building will be in metres? Will it be taller than the Sun Life tower?

Generally, when I've read the zoning change reports, they seem to lack descriptions of the building heights in metres. It's always in storeys, which are not a precise measurement. Commercial storeys are ~4m, residential ~3m, but they change a lot, and often there are multiple different heights in a single building.
Some time ago, I went on an edit spree of thread titles, removing "| ??m |" from several, because we just don't regularly get that information.

Does anyone know if the city would have a registry of building height information?
(07-20-2018, 04:02 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Does anyone know if the city would have a registry of building height information?

this ones 31 and dtk is 36 now...just call the city and ask for info if its approved and public info they seem happy to share Smile
Duke Tower Kitchener is now proposed as 36 stories?
It is advertised as 33 floors on the website.
(07-21-2018, 09:15 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: It is advertised as 33 floors on the website.

They said (a month ago or so) that they were planning to add more floors based on the demand.
(07-21-2018, 02:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 09:15 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: It is advertised as 33 floors on the website.

They said (a month ago or so) that they were planning to add more floors based on the demand.

Damn, 36 floors is a lot. Between that, Charlie, Garment, and SIXO, whenever that happens, DTK is goin' to be rockin'.

(07-21-2018, 02:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

Maybe they should make it an even Forty then!!!
Looks like all the piles are in and excavation has started here.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »