Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
The assumption of course is that there is contamination. I couldn't actually find a record of site condition for that site. Doesn't mean there isn't, just that no one has found and documented it yet.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(03-23-2018, 07:54 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The assumption of course is that there is contamination. I couldn't actually find a record of site condition for that site. Doesn't mean there isn't, just that no one has found and documented it yet.

It would be a surprise if the site were found not to be contaminated.  I don't know what that would mean, however, in a case like this where the entire site is to be excavated.
(03-23-2018, 09:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 07:54 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The assumption of course is that there is contamination. I couldn't actually find a record of site condition for that site. Doesn't mean there isn't, just that no one has found and documented it yet.

It would be a surprise if the site were found not to be contaminated.  I don't know what that would mean, however, in a case like this where the entire site is to be excavated.

In this particular case, it seems to me the whole site would need to be excavated. The difference is they have to process the removed soil instead of just sending it off as clean fill.
(03-23-2018, 10:15 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 09:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It would be a surprise if the site were found not to be contaminated.  I don't know what that would mean, however, in a case like this where the entire site is to be excavated.

In this particular case, it seems to me the whole site would need to be excavated. The difference is they have to process the removed soil instead of just sending it off as clean fill.

So no biggie, really.

Momentum staff told me there is expected contamination from the gas station, and that's why actual construction isn't expected until Sept 30. They'll spend the summer cleaning up the site.
Not only is there likely contamination from the gas station itself, the 19th century coal gas plant was nearby and that had known issues as well.
(03-23-2018, 03:04 PM)KevinL Wrote: Not only is there likely contamination from the gas station itself, the 19th century coal gas plant was nearby and that had known issues as well.

You'd think it shouldn't be too bad because wouldn't the builders of King Centre have cleaned up that mess?

Hopefully no major hang-ups anyway...looking forward to see how this transforms that corner.

(03-23-2018, 05:10 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 03:04 PM)KevinL Wrote: Not only is there likely contamination from the gas station itself, the 19th century coal gas plant was nearby and that had known issues as well.

You'd think it shouldn't be too bad because wouldn't the builders of King Centre have cleaned up that mess?

Hopefully no major hang-ups anyway...looking forward to see how this transforms that corner.

Only on their site, I would think.
(03-23-2018, 05:19 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 05:10 PM)jeffster Wrote: You'd think it shouldn't be too bad because wouldn't the builders of King Centre have cleaned up that mess?

Only on their site, I would think.

Yeah, that's what I meant...and I meant in the way that they'd have some sort of idea, or at least they should, what's in store for that site.
The garage is older than King Centre, so there may yet be things unknown.
Would there have been much in the way of soil remediation requirements back when the King Centre was built?
(03-23-2018, 11:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Would there have been much in the way of soil remediation requirements back when the King Centre was built?

I am guessing there would have been quite a bit, though perhaps not as much back then compared to if King Centre was built today.

Makes me wonder of the timeline for Manulife to start their build in the lot out that way...
(03-23-2018, 10:44 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 10:15 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: In this particular case, it seems to me the whole site would need to be excavated. The difference is they have to process the removed soil instead of just sending it off as clean fill.

So no biggie, really.

A foreman told me today they'll be excavating about 30ft. of soil and sending it to a place around Sarnia.

No action on the Charlie West site for a couple of weeks now? I saw on this thread that construction doesn't start until September 30?
Nothing at all happening at the moment.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »