Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax Returns
Hi Members,

I have found very few reviews of tax professionals in the region. I tried a CPA based on this FB post: https://www.facebook.com/markrlaurincpa/...5289855066. He seemed pretty awesome. Does anyone else have any opinions or pointers to other tax professionals.

Thanks,
Ray

Unless your taxes are overly complicated: https://simpletax.ca

It's pay-what-you-want.
If he was awesome, why not go back to him?
(03-21-2017, 06:21 PM)isUsername Wrote: Unless your taxes are overly complicated: https://simpletax.ca

It's pay-what-you-want.

I used TaxTron two years ago.  Free.  UI is annoying but that's pretty much par for the course.

However ... CRA subsequently discovered a fairly significant error on my tax returns.  I got the notice, and double- and triple-checked, and TaxTron was definitely doing the calculation wrong.  Sad

Now I am back to paying for TurboTax (nee QuickTax).  I'd rather shell out $30 (?) than risk another error.  The simple returns are free, but I expect that the OP has something more complex if he is paying a CPA.  Investments and business income will get you up on the complexity scale pretty quickly.
http://www.studiotax.com/en/

Also pay what you want. I've used this for many years, no issues.
(03-21-2017, 08:30 PM)JoeKW Wrote: If he was awesome, why not go back to him?

I did book an appointment with him but wanted to see if there are other recommendations.
(03-22-2017, 06:08 AM)raybattler Wrote:
(03-21-2017, 08:30 PM)JoeKW Wrote: If he was awesome, why not go back to him?

I did book an appointment with him but wanted to see if there are other recommendations.

I have my own Tax Preparation business ... I highly recommend myself....

www.bonartonline.com

[Mods, if a link is outside of the rules, please delete my post]

Coke

As A response to a question, I should hope that's OK!

P.S. Took a look at your site, I was surprised that you charge a flat fee regardless of the complexity of the return!
Agreed, I don't see an issue.

And although I do my own taxes, $30 seems like a very reasonable rate!
99% of my clients have a few T4's and RRSP receipts, and I hated seeing them start at $55 for the other guy on the "Block".  I do have extra charges for more complex returns (ie. Sole-Prop, etc.), but detailing them on the website just doesn't make sense.

And I do return preparation, I personally am not a CA (But my wife is, and a former CRA employee), and don't do tax planning, etc.

Coke
I've used DSK on Victoria St N. for the last couple of years. No problem, but there are less expensive options out there.
(03-22-2017, 05:43 PM)Chicopee Wrote:
(03-22-2017, 09:27 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: I have my own Tax Preparation business ... I highly recommend myself....

www.bonartonline.com

[Mods, if a link is outside of the rules, please delete my post]

Coke

I'm not a mod, but if I was, I'd say this is within the rules if you offer WRC members a discount.  Smile

$5.00 off with the promo code : Chicopee   Wink

Coke
Do you do U.S. returns?

(03-23-2017, 02:58 PM)schooner77 Wrote: Do you do U.S. returns?

I used to, but I avoid them now.

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »