Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
345 King St W | 6 fl | Complete
I really like it If you drive south on king, you see the Google building and this building in the foreground it is great looking

Is it just me or do the windows at 345 King have a blue tinge?
Reminds me of something that would have been built in the late 1990s.
I think this building will miss the mark a bit - uninspired design; too much glass, etc.
Still nice to see more density in DTK.
(10-21-2019, 09:24 AM)Tony_Plow Wrote: I think this building will miss the mark a bit - uninspired design; too much glass, etc.

It's not just a glass box: the glass portion protrudes at an angle from inside a concrete shell, the glass covers only the front and maybe a third of the (Kitchener) east side of the building. There is a rooftop terrace on top of the glass portion, and the street level is quite open.

Maybe it's easier to see by reposting the render here:

(10-21-2019, 01:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 09:24 AM)Tony_Plow Wrote: I think this building will miss the mark a bit - uninspired design; too much glass, etc.

It's not just a glass box: the glass portion protrudes at an angle from inside a concrete shell, the glass covers only the front and maybe a third of the (Kitchener) east side of the building. There is a rooftop terrace on top of the glass portion, and the street level is quite open.

Thanks - yes, I saw that previously.  The portion of the concrete shell that has been installed to date doesn't look great.  Also, from street level, the glass is overwhelming.  In this case, the rendering looks better than the actual construction.  Compare this design to Perimeter's design at King & Allen - the King & Allen design makes 345 King look like a fairly standard suburban office building.  IMO Perimeter could have done better here.  It's not terrible, but it's not great.
(10-21-2019, 02:53 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 01:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's not just a glass box: the glass portion protrudes at an angle from inside a concrete shell, the glass covers only the front and maybe a third of the (Kitchener) east side of the building. There is a rooftop terrace on top of the glass portion, and the street level is quite open.

Thanks - yes, I saw that previously.  The portion of the concrete shell that has been installed to date doesn't look great.  Also, from street level, the glass is overwhelming.  In this case, the rendering looks better than the actual construction.  Compare this design to Perimeter's design at King & Allen - the King & Allen design makes 345 King look like a fairly standard suburban office building.  IMO Perimeter could have done better here.  It's not terrible, but it's not great.

Are there any pics?  I don't think we've seen the exterior cladding other than the glass in the pics posted to date.
> Are there any pics?  I don't think we've seen the exterior cladding other than the glass in the pics posted to date.

Here's the side facing 305, from today:

Concrete, or precast stone of some sort? Like the glass, it seems to complement the Waterloo Trust tower in a way I hadn't expected.

I like it very much
(10-21-2019, 05:39 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Concrete, or precast stone of some sort?  Like the glass, it seems to complement the Waterloo Trust tower in a way I hadn't expected.

I suspect it was intentional when it was designed, it's sometimes done. They really look good next to each other.

305 King has always been a nice building for something built in the 1960s. The heavy use of glass is even uncommon for that era of modernism.
I think this is going to be one of those cases that when it all comes together and is done, it's going to look good, but at certain points during construction it might look underwhelming.
[attachment=6488]
[attachment=6529]
Thanks for posting!
I still think it's a "meh" building.

It's not great but it's not terrible either. Doesnt add to the skyline but will likely have a nice street presence so overall I'd say it's a pretty good building.
I'm surprised we don't see more buildings of this scale. Maybe they're not as financially viable?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »