Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Trees
I was looking for a 'Trees' thread, and was surprised not to find one. Spokes, if this should be moved to Transportation and Infrastructure (trees are living infrastructure!), feel free.

Anyway, I was interested to read this: Waterloo to give away 2,017 trees for Canada’s 150th
[/url]
[url=http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7194366-waterloo-to-give-away-2-017-trees-for-canada-s-150th/]
Perhaps the City of Kitchener could follow suit. During consultations on the City's Neighbourhood Strategy, there was discussion about subsidizing street trees in private front yards, which would be great neighbourhood-building indeed. It's very neat that Waterloo will celebrate Canada's birthday by giving away 2000+ maple trees. Hopefully good information about where they are best suited, and how to best care for them, will be provided too.
Another good thing is that it'll be red maples and sugar maples, not Norway maples (which is not a native species).

Not a big budget line item, Kitchener should definitely follow suit!
I think (hope) that the days of municipalities planting Norway maples are over- you're right, they are something of a menace.

It sounds like these won't even be hybrids, but strictly sugar and red maples. Perfectly suited to here, since they're from here.
Not a fan of sugar maples - used to have an old one in my yard that had been striped to an inch of its life by wildlife. Had to take it down before it collapsed.

That said, I'm not sure the previous owners gave it any sort of helping care...
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
(03-17-2017, 01:08 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I was looking for a 'Trees' thread, and was surprised not to find one. Spokes, if this should be moved to Transportation and Infrastructure (trees are living infrastructure!), feel free.

Anyway, I was interested to read this: Waterloo to give away 2,017 trees for Canada’s 150th
[/url]
[url=http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7194366-waterloo-to-give-away-2-017-trees-for-canada-s-150th/]
Perhaps the City of Kitchener could follow suit. During consultations on the City's Neighbourhood Strategy, there was discussion about subsidizing street trees in private front yards, which would be great neighbourhood-building indeed. It's very neat that Waterloo will celebrate Canada's birthday by giving away 2000+ maple trees. Hopefully good information about where they are best suited, and how to best care for them, will be provided too.

This fits.  Great thread idea.
(03-17-2017, 03:14 PM)KevinL Wrote: Not a fan of sugar maples - used to have an old one in my yard that had been striped to an inch of its life by wildlife. Had to take it down before it collapsed.

That said, I'm not sure the previous owners gave it any sort of helping care...

How is this possible???  No maple syrup for you!!!