Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(08-22-2018, 02:40 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Things that confuse me: MACA is appealing the approval of a liquor license application for the old Empress of India location. I don't know what's going in there, but across the street from Ethel's, it feels a bit like "we want to live directly next to the bustling core of a major city, we just don't want it to bustle in ways we don't personally use or at times we don't personally use it." Maybe no open windows with loud music pumping into the neighbourhood until 2am? Sure. But it's quite surprising to go after an establishment at the knees, its base ability to function.

Just out of curiosity, did Empress of India have alcohol (I hope that’s not a dumb question)? I agree that right on King is exactly where you want restaurants etc. and unless the new establishment will be a rowdy bar it doesn’t seem at all reasonable to oppose it.

MACA - MacGregor Albert Community Association. Primarily homeowners within the King-Bridgeport-Albert-Central catchement. https://www.facebook.com/MACAwaterloo/

I don't know whether Empress had alcohol, but yes, right across the street, definitely.
(08-22-2018, 02:40 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Things that confuse me: MACA is appealing the approval of a liquor license application for the old Empress of India location. I don't know what's going in there, but across the street from Ethel's, it feels a bit like "we want to live directly next to the bustling core of a major city, we just don't want it to bustle in ways we don't personally use or at times we don't personally use it." Maybe no open windows with loud music pumping into the neighbourhood until 2am? Sure. But it's quite surprising to go after an establishment at the knees, its base ability to function.

Sort of agree... but this will be a country bar by the same owners of Night School. Ethel's has been there for decades, attracts an older crowd, serves food, and never gets too rowdy. I think in this case the residents of one of the most historic neighbourhoods in the city have the right to appeal.
I think “historic” or “heritage” should be completely irrelevant here, the only thing that matters is whether the licence is appropriate given the surrounding residential neighborhood.
(08-23-2018, 09:11 AM)urbd Wrote: Sort of agree... but this will be a country bar by the same owners of Night School. Ethel's has been there for decades, attracts an older crowd, serves food, and never gets too rowdy. I think in this case the residents of one of the most historic neighbourhoods in the city have the right to appeal.

Ethel's is a complicated reference, since the neighbourhood really did not want them to be there either. They embraced the constraints on their original license (no live entertainment, one tv) and I think some of today's culture of the bar is a result of that.

That said, I agree that there very much is a difference between a neighbourhood bar and a night club and that is an important consideration.
I noticed that a few houses on the south side of Erb, between Regina and Gillen have been boarded up.

Perhaps some parcel aggregation for something bigger? Would a pretty narrow re-development as those lots are not very deep.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Proposal again for the former LCBO lands at Erb and Peppler (36, 42 Erb Street East and 39 Dupont Street East). Includes a pair of lots which go to Dupont, which would be odd to try to put much on. 4-storey mixed-use commercial ground floor podium, 20-storey residential on top. Current zoning is C7-4, C6-25, GR4. 252 Parking, 231 residential units. https://www.waterloo.ca/en/business/zone...ations.asp

Evidence that neighbourhood is working early to oppose.

Why oppose? Because it doesn't fit there? If not there, then where?
(09-20-2018, 03:37 PM)Spokes Wrote: Why oppose? Because it doesn't fit there? If not there, then where?

#nimby

It's probably the same crowd that is throwing the racket over that other development in uptown.
(09-20-2018, 04:53 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 03:37 PM)Spokes Wrote: Why oppose?  Because it doesn't fit there? If not there, then where?

#nimby

It's probably the same crowd that is throwing the racket over that other development in uptown.

It is indeed the same crowd. I'll remain hopeful as much as possible, though. Still more than a parking space per unit (can't imagine visitor and commercial spots actually change that fact). This being on the main highway access, maybe, but also right on Spurline, and reasonably walkable to LRT, definitely UpTown.
The link for 36, 42 Erb St is not working for me, does anyone have a link for the files?
I'm guessing most of that podium will be parking since they probably can't dig very deep there for underground vehicle storage.

I wonder how high the water table is there and how they will mitigate GRCA's concerns being next to the creek.
#KeepUptownIn1987

Things are changing people. Embrace it.

Oddly the proposal is missing from the City's website now... or at least the link doesn't work. Would have liked to see the proposed development, sounds positive and exciting.
I noticed the trees between Erb and the Spur along King have had these structures installed around them. It looks like there is an arched light bulb on the inside of each "prong". I have not seen them at night.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »