Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(05-02-2018, 10:59 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is the "Andie's Boutique" on the hoarding not accurate?

There's been a sandwich-board sign on the sidewalk this week indicating that Andie's Boutiques is still open during the construction.

While the hoarding was going up, I saw a sign indicating a yoga studio and boxing club might be moving in, but I didn't get a picture of the signage.

As for the Schendel sign, apparently it's made up of tiny ceramic tiles - mosaic style.

Schendel Stationary, and later Schendel Office Supplies operated in Waterloo out of the Button Factory and elsewhere on King St from the 1940s to 1980s, possibly later. Given how few Schendels are listed for Waterloo during this time, I would not be surprised if the business was owned by P.A. Schendel, a Waterloo city councilor in 1947. You can faintly see the name Schendel on the sign underneath the balconies of the King St photo from 1953 (source: WPL archives). The business likely moved to the Andies location sometime in the 70s or 80s.

To add to the interest, the wires in the top left of the image appear to be from the electric trolley coach buses that used to operate along King St in Kitchener and Waterloo. Look closely in the image below for the old clock tower atop Kitchener City Hall.

(05-02-2018, 10:48 AM)urbd Wrote: does anyone know what is opening here?

Yoga, boxing, cycling space/store called Hustl + Flow
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I didn't realize Waterloo was so close to divesting itself from the Adult Recreation Centre property. That seemed to happen very fast; staff will be reporting to council on June 11, 2018.

The requirements:
i) Construction of a minimum of 6,503 square metres (70,000 square feet) urban office building (based on a 2 Floor Area Ratio objective) that can include ground floor commercial and community uses as permitted by the Zoning By-law;

ii) Construction of at least one level of underground parking with a minimum of 70 parking spaces underground based on the applicable parking requirements and approvals; and,

iii) Ensuring the continuation of the Senior Services Programs at the Subject Land, until the completion of the expansion of the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Centre anticipated for 2021, subject to Council decision and funding approval.
(05-02-2018, 04:41 PM)UrbanCanoe Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 10:59 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is the "Andie's Boutique" on the hoarding not accurate?

There's been a sandwich-board sign on the sidewalk this week indicating that Andie's Boutiques is still open during the construction.

While the hoarding was going up, I saw a sign indicating a yoga studio and boxing club might be moving in, but I didn't get a picture of the signage.

As for the Schendel sign, apparently it's made up of tiny ceramic tiles - mosaic style.

Schendel Stationary, and later Schendel Office Supplies operated in Waterloo out of the Button Factory and elsewhere on King St from the 1940s to 1980s, possibly later. Given how few Schendels are listed for Waterloo during this time, I would not be surprised if the business was owned by P.A. Schendel, a Waterloo city councilor in 1947. You can faintly see the name Schendel on the sign underneath the balconies of the King St photo from 1953 (source: WPL archives). The business likely moved to the Andies location sometime in the 70s or 80s.

To add to the interest, the wires in the top left of the image appear to be from the electric trolley coach buses that used to operate along King St in Kitchener and Waterloo. Look closely in the image below for the old clock tower atop Kitchener City Hall.

I miss Fiedlers Delicatessen
That's pretty aggressive, demanding that the site continue seniors' programs until at least 2021. Does that mean that the purchaser has to be able to hold onto the lands for at least three years before doing anything? Or has to construct temporary seniors' program facilities if they want to move on this sooner? Yet again, a bunch of clauses that absolutely hold this property for only the most well-heeled developers.
(05-15-2018, 08:53 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: That's pretty aggressive, demanding that the site continue seniors' programs until at least 2021. Does that mean that the purchaser has to be able to hold onto the lands for at least three years before doing anything? Or has to construct temporary seniors' program facilities if they want to move on this sooner? Yet again, a bunch of clauses that absolutely hold this property for only the most well-heeled developers.

All they have to do is avoid completing the project until 2021. Given that it’s already mid-2018, this shouldn’t be too much trouble. The real question is why they aren’t maintaining the location permanently — the Rec Centre is a terrible location for people who are more likely to be unable to drive (great for people in the retirement residence there, but not for the rest of the city).
(05-15-2018, 09:13 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: The real question is why they aren’t maintaining the location permanently — the Rec Centre is a terrible location for people who are more likely to be unable to drive (great for people in the retirement residence there, but not for the rest of the city).

I think the answer is: $$$

My guess is the $$$ too. They see how hot that direct area is and want to cash in on it. That being said, I always thought this spot should be redeveloped. I just thought the city might want to locate within the new project.
Knowing Waterloo, in 10 years they'll likely decide they do need a community space need an LRT stop after all and pay 10x what they will get now to get 1/2 of what they have now.
Waterloo is hurting for cash. They have so much institutional property that does not pay a lot in property taxes. Selling assets is one way to avoid maintenance on them.
It would be nice if a forward thinking developer decided that community space was a useful direction to go. After all, the Tannery has it's event space, and the new building on the recently vacated post office property will have some community space there.

On a tangential note, the brickwork of the Adult Recreation Centre definitely looks like it had a lot of thought and effort put into its construction.
Progress on the St Louis condominiums remains slow:

Genuinely not sure where to put this, apologies if it doesn't make sense here.

I've noticed over the past week or so that the former Wright Auto property (Weber and Bridgeport) has been completely repaved with a new parking lot, and it LOOKS like a fenced in patio area was built? Thought that may have been there before.

Regardless, I don't imagine they'd be making these changes if the space hadn't been leased out, and given the patio-looking thing, I'd assume a restaurant might move in? Anyone know anything more?

(06-22-2018, 01:08 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Genuinely not sure where to put this, apologies if it doesn't make sense here.

I've noticed over the past week or so that the former Wright Auto property (Weber and Bridgeport) has been completely repaved with a new parking lot, and it LOOKS like a fenced in patio area was built? Thought that may have been there before.

Regardless, I don't imagine they'd be making these changes if the space hadn't been leased out, and given the patio-looking thing, I'd assume a restaurant might move in? Anyone know anything more?

I noticed the same thing this morning, and was wondering about what it could be!
I've heard rumours that 168 King St S (the credit union building on the corner of King/George), 8 George St, and 12 George St have been assembled for development.

Can anyone confirm?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »