Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
Might they move the northbound 7 to Caroline or something? But then you introduce complexity to a route they're trying to streamline. Gaah, why couldn't these project alterations get more public discussion?

Also, maybe this discussion should go to the GRT thread...

I misremembered the original drawing. The original intent was a bus bay to the right of the LRT track. So the buses would merge across.

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(04-05-2017, 09:58 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Does anyone know what is planned for the green space on the southeast corner of King and William? I think it is called Heritage Green. They took all the concrete planters, steps, etc. out during Ion construction. I suspect GrandLinq is just going to re-grade it with soil and grass, especially now that the previously planned GRT stop will not be here either, but does the city have a plan for the space? 

A semicircular concrete path has gone in:

[Image: eVCF9EF.jpg]
(04-18-2017, 10:40 AM)urbd Wrote: In other news (and also not sure if there is a better thread), the Uptown Waterloo streetscape project has officially started construction... trees have been removed from Bridgeport to Erb. This project has a very aggressive schedule to be completed in only 7 months, closing one or two blocks only at a time. Also part of Erb St will get rebuilt and the access from Erb to Albert will be realigned. I noticed that on-street parking was just added to Albert from Erb to Caroline, meaning that it is only one travel lane now! Great news in my opinion... cars are going significantly slower and more carefully through it.

King is fully closed north of Erb. 

[Image: Kwwb7Sc.jpg]
Alexandra park could be getting bigger:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.4121265
A numbered company filed a record of site condition back in October of 2015 on the properties next to Sunlife:
182 CAROLINE STREET SOUTH, WATERLOO, ON N2J 1R2
209 KING STREET SOUTH, WATERLOO, ON N2J 1R2
176 CAROLINE STREET SOUTH, WATERLOO, ON N2J 1R2
217 KING STREET SOUTH, WATERLOO, ON N2J 1R2
180 CAROLINE STREET SOUTH, WATERLOO, ON N2J 1R2
215 KING STREET SOUTH, WATERLOO, ON N2J 1R2

This is often a step toward re-development.

I wonder if that has anything to do with that render that came across Twitter ages ago around the same time. I think RSCs are valid for 18-months before they need to be updated.

I think that numbered company is Sun Life, and it would likely have been done in advance of selling off their building and property the other year.
Which property / building did Sun Life sell?
(06-08-2017, 11:58 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Which property / building did Sun Life sell?

The houses at the southwest corner of King/John if memory serves.
They sold those and the headquarters property to Concert Real Estate Corporation in 2014 and are leasing it back from them for 20 years.
The McCabe's sign is now up on the Uptown location and a note on the door just says "soon."
A number of new eateries seem poised to open soon.

More McCabe's signage is up and along with now hiring signs.
Lou Dawg's seems to be getting all kinds of deliveries and also has now hiring signs in the old Frenzi hair location.
The Craft Chippery is making quick progress in the short lived German bakery.
The whisky bar in the old honey bake shop is making slower progress.

All the trees AND vegetation have been removed from around 16 George St. It is all boarded up. I wonder if the water damage from earlier this year was too extensive and it is being readied for demolition related to "problems with landlord Terry Good"?
Many of Good’s properties have been sold, so I would expect to see changes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »