Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours

Nineteen Regina has the potential to be a very exciting addition to Uptown Waterloo.

The Coupal Markou feature sheet for this project has possession as March 2017, I am guessing that has been delayed.
Scaffolding has come down. New windows look great!

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Does anyone know what is planned for the green space on the southeast corner of King and William? I think it is called Heritage Green. They took all the concrete planters, steps, etc. out during Ion construction. I suspect GrandLinq is just going to re-grade it with soil and grass, especially now that the previously planned GRT stop will not be here either, but does the city have a plan for the space? 

It always struck me as a very underutilized green space in Uptown. I thought a community garden and oven would work well here with the exposure.

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I was looking at the book about Waterloo's 150th anniversary yesterday and noticed that Heritage Green used to be the town square in an old map. It can definitely be more green than the current town square, but sort of out of the way as well. The immediately surrounding buildings are sort of low density and not very big commercial attractions; have to go a few blocks more to get stuff.
This was one of the town squares in the City of Waterloo.  At one point, the town square was at King/Erb (now site of the Bank of Montreal), then it shifted a little further west in front of the old Town Hall (now site of the Marsland Centre).  There was some land purchasing of Heritage Green for the LRT with the Region assuming responsibility to fix things later.  The following is from September 2014 (PDF) and includes the various bits that Region purchased from the City of Waterloo including part of Heritage Green:

Quote:"from The Corporation of the City of Waterloo (the “City”) for payment of $692,002.00 as compensation for the market value of the City Lands plus the sum of $700,000.00 as compensation for injurious affection, disturbance damages, other damages and inconvenience suffered by the City together with associated costs, as well as, an undertaking to rectify physical impacts that are suffered by the City on its retained lands due to LRT construction including, without limitation, restoration of effects on the Heritage Green Parkette, with all documentation to the satisfaction of the Regional solicitor;"
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but the Dairy Queen at King and John has permanently closed. Their sign says something along the lines of "Retired. Thanks for 60 years of business." I can't imagine it will be long before the site sees a new development.

That close to the LRT? Definitely.
The lot is not that big on its own. With the two properties between it and Cortes, though, it certainly would be.
(12-05-2016, 08:42 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 06:56 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Sorry for the off-topic, but was there any noticeable renovation done to the building at Duke and Victoria before the Waterloo Club moved in?

New windows I think. Not sure about the interior. Looks like they have plans though:
http://www.thewaterloo.club/?lightbox=dataItem-iv45mz0h

Liquour licence application sign in the window, new windows and interior renovation well under way.

(04-05-2017, 09:58 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Does anyone know what is planned for the green space on the southeast corner of King and William? I think it is called Heritage Green. They took all the concrete planters, steps, etc. out during Ion construction. I suspect GrandLinq is just going to re-grade it with soil and grass, especially now that the previously planned GRT stop will not be here either, but does the city have a plan for the space? 

It always struck me as a very underutilized green space in Uptown. I thought a community garden and oven would work well here with the exposure.

Wait, the GRT stop at William is being permanently removed? This would mean no stops on Route 7 Northbound between Allen and Erb.
I would think so, as you can't have a stop let people out onto LRT tracks, and from Allen to (nearly) Erb, that is all that exists on the northbound side of the road.
In other news (and also not sure if there is a better thread), the Uptown Waterloo streetscape project has officially started construction... trees have been removed from Bridgeport to Erb. This project has a very aggressive schedule to be completed in only 7 months, closing one or two blocks only at a time. Also part of Erb St will get rebuilt and the access from Erb to Albert will be realigned. I noticed that on-street parking was just added to Albert from Erb to Caroline, meaning that it is only one travel lane now! Great news in my opinion... cars are going significantly slower and more carefully through it. I'll post pictures soon.

Uptown Streetscape details and plans

Erb and Albert realignment plan

Does anyone know if there is a specific thread for this project? I'd like to post updates and photos as I live right there.

(04-18-2017, 08:48 AM)dunkalunk Wrote: Wait, the GRT stop at William is being permanently removed? This would mean no stops on Route 7 Northbound between Allen and Erb.

It's a notable deviation from the 2013 drawings. The 7 and LRT would have the same stop spacing. There's been no official word on it, but the missing bus stop island is very missing.
I seem to remember drawings at some point showing buses actually driving over the LRT tracks to stop adjacent the parkade, can't remember an island at Willis or William or George, and certainly don't see how you'd squeeze any in now, especially as 7s will likely need stops to accommodate articulated buses.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »