Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
Demolition-ish looking fence around 34 Erb St.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Was that the former site of the Waterloo Club before it moved to Duke Street in Kitchener?
(12-05-2016, 01:38 PM)nms Wrote: Was that the former site of the Waterloo Club before it moved to Duke Street in Kitchener?

Yes.
(12-05-2016, 01:38 PM)nms Wrote: Was that the former site of the Waterloo Club before it moved to Duke Street in Kitchener?

Yes.

Sorry for the off-topic, but was there any noticeable renovation done to the building at Duke and Victoria before the Waterloo Club moved in?
(12-05-2016, 06:56 PM)panamaniac Wrote:

Sorry for the off-topic, but was there any noticeable renovation done to the building at Duke and Victoria before the Waterloo Club moved in?

New windows I think. Not sure about the interior. Looks like they have plans though:
http://www.thewaterloo.club/?lightbox=dataItem-iv45mz0h
Maybe a sign? The Waterloo Club was certainly good at keeping a low profile for the last 100+ years.

Apparently 34 Erb St E was bought by the nearby Gina's spa with the short term use of parking and the long term use of redevelopment:
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7013...rst-mayor/
Tee-hee!

The City of Waterloo is undertaking a study on the potential of expanding the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex: http://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/WMRC-Expansion.asp

I hope they consider the proximity to LRT stops when considering expanded parking requirements.
(01-05-2017, 09:05 AM)timio Wrote: I hope they consider the proximity to LRT stops when considering expanded parking requirements.

Considering it's not terribly proximate to LRT stops, I hope they don't. Wink
It's 650m of unpaved trails to Seagram Station, and 820m to Caroline Station
Good point that the trail surface is not what it could be, and less than ideal for some people.

In my household, we've talked about the ability to get off at the park and walk down to the rec centre. I can't imagine anything nicer than walking through the park to get there (well, maybe if the rec centre fronted the street and you didn't have to walk past a few rows of parking to get there; or if there were an activated crosswalk in front).
(01-05-2017, 10:03 AM)MidTowner Wrote: (well, maybe if the rec centre fronted the street and you didn't have to walk past a few rows of parking to get there; or if there were an activated crosswalk in front).
Oh wow, now I'm remembering that I did that walk once, and yeah, the approach from that angle is terrible. There's a ditch in the way, and then you walk past a bunch of parking. Nothing that even pretends to be a sidewalk from the street. I think you have to go in on the road.

I don't remember the ditch, but you're right that there's no sidewalk adjacent to the driveway on the west side of the property. That's actually not that bad- you carry on the north side of Father David Bauer to the skate park, cross (there is a sidewalk refuge in the middle of the boulevard), and then carry on to the front of the building.

It can be improved, and should be for people wanting to access the centre from LRT- I think the Park station makes better sense than from Caroline.
Looking at the satellite view, I see that there is a sidewalk path, as long as you are a good pedestrian who does not mind walking the Manhattan Distance.  I recall that from the ground, the sidewalk path seemed overly out of the way.  As it was pouring rain at the time, I wanted to cut as straight a line as possible.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »