Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(12-03-2018, 12:02 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 12:52 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Looks like new plant/tree boxes are being installed in front of Allen Square. Would make for a nice patio behind those and the building.

The next set of McMansions on George sure went up fast:

From the rear - newest ones are on right partially-obscured by trees (via Regina):

It is kind of sad that those older houses were demolished only to be replaced with cookie-cutter, $1.2million dollar homes when it is so close to an Ion stop. They could have fit some nice walk-ups (i.e. density) on those lots that would not have been out of place or scale given what was actually built.

Agreed - they're not great looking houses - very generic/suburban looking.  Whoever bought those houses is taking quite a risk - the land directly behind is not owned by the city and could be developed in the future - the city only owns the pumping station and the land on the other side of the pumping station (further away from King St.) - not to mention the condo tower proposed for the corner of King and George.

The City does not own the pumping station, it is owned by the Region and it is planned to be a park.

(12-03-2018, 01:05 PM)Lens Wrote: Is Sunlife getting a reclad?

[Image: DtghofxVAAEEJiM.jpg]

Yes!
That tower is about 30 years old. Some of the exterior features could be near the end of their design life.
I've been working on my modelling of all the new developments in town, thought I'd post an update now that most of Uptown is incorporated. You should be able to get a pretty good idea of the infill form this Smile

Red = proposed, Yellow = U/C, Green = complete. I'm thinking of maybe adding Black for developments of questionable state (Alexandria School, One King, etc). Lemme know if there's more views you'd like to see! This doesn't include the University area yet, and Downtown isnt complete. Uptown is still missing a few as well — the 12 story building at Erb / Moore, some of the Barrel Yards, the Rec Centre expansion, Expansion at Regina / Dupont, for example

[Image: QRJ9lgC.jpg]
[Image: ZlnONtx.jpg]
That is absolutely stunning. Great work!!
(01-06-2019, 10:16 PM)Canard Wrote: That is absolutely stunning.  Great work!!

I agree...very nice work indeed!
Great work, do you have one for downtown Kitchener as well?

(01-06-2019, 11:33 PM)artembunglito Wrote: Great work, do you have one for downtown Kitchener as well?

I believe he did for some of the buildings we were talking about, namely Charlie West and DTK, and hoping for more.
Thanks for putting those pieces together Gtwok, you really get a sense of what our urban core could look like in the next few years.
Looks great!

Really shows the high concentration of residential units we'll have in the Bauer marketplace area - especially once the Sunlife condos go up.
Over time, I'm sure we'll also see something happen with the funeral home lands on King.
I think the King and Allen LRT station is on its way to becoming the highest density LRT stop in Waterloo.

Barrel Yards is also a high concentration of residential units - would be nice if they would add meaningful retail to this development.

I would also love to see more condo developments along King between William and Bridgeport (to date only two have been proposed) - that is the prime area for shops and restaurants Uptown.
These are really cool!! Well done!!
Whoa great stuff..wait what are these 'Sunlife' condos going up???
(01-14-2019, 12:42 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Whoa great stuff..wait what are these 'Sunlife' condos going up???

That would be http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...p?tid=1038 . Though I think the latest rumour is rentals rather than condo.

Wow big project. Looks decent too. What's the status on those?
I don't know if there was really much to have a status of, no? Just a concept drawing popped up. Was there even a developer attached to it?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »