Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abe Erb Brewery/Restaurant
(11-26-2014, 12:10 PM)zanate Wrote: I was at Innocente yesterday and found out that they're doing a contract brew of Abe Erb's IPA. No doubt an effort by Abe Erb to keep up with demand. I'd guess they're still working out the reality of their own brewing requirements.

(Innocente built more capacity than they initially needed because they sensed the opportunity to rent out their spare capacity. So far I've seen a number of different brewing company's products coming out of there, including Descendants and Shacklands.)

That's great as Innocente makes a great beer.  But you've got to wonder, if the demand continues, will it ever be possible to keep up production on site or will they be constantly out of their own product.

I hear tell of a bar in Toronto where they constantly talk politics amongst all patrons.

Were Abe Erb to be like that, only different, perhaps the closeness only encouraging socialization even if not of a particular type, I would be ok with that. We have enough places that are great at serving beer and food and keeping you isolated from other patrons, even in close quarters, that I'd be happy if Abe Erb could be the first spot to encourage the opposite. On my visits there, being at longer tables has always generated conversations.
Politics (and religion) seem to be risky topics for discussion among people who are driniking.

It would make a nice change from all the coffee shops where folks are intent at staring at the screen and interacting with nobody.
(11-26-2014, 02:43 PM)Spokes Wrote: That's great as Innocente makes a great beer.  But you've got to wonder, if the demand continues, will it ever be possible to keep up production on site or will they be constantly out of their own product.

That'll be a function of how much tank space they have for fermentation, and what kind of production tempo they can keep up-- and when they'll brew at all. I wonder whether they're going to, say, run the kettle while people are seated underneath. (It looks amazing to have the brewery located up there, but I don't want to think too hard about the consequences of boiling water, a bad seal, and gravity.)
I'm pretty sure that they have no intent to serve only their own beer.  "Guest taps" will be a permanent fixture there...
Anybody know when the Abe Erb location at the Tannery is scheduled to open? I noticed that things looked well advanced when I drove by yesterday.
(12-29-2016, 09:50 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Anybody know when the Abe Erb location at the Tannery is scheduled to open?  I noticed that things looked well advanced when I drove by yesterday.

Someone who works there told me they wanted to open a few days after christmas... that didn't happen so now i'm guessing early January?

Looks like they might be opening tonight: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOnDLnvDPCk/...by=abe_erb
Their hashtag #abeerbtannery is confusing; I keep seeing 'A Beer B Tannery'.
(12-29-2016, 08:10 PM)KevinL Wrote: Their hashtag #abeerbtannery is confusing; I keep seeing 'A Beer B Tannery'.

Which is why capitalization is important.  [Now that you pointed it out, I can't stop seeing that LOL]

I remember the trending #thatcherisdead (ThatcherIsDead was read as ThatCherIsDead)

Coke
(12-29-2016, 08:10 PM)KevinL Wrote: Their hashtag #abeerbtannery is confusing; I keep seeing 'A Beer B Tannery'.

From the OP the sign says "beer is his middle name" #ABEERB so I think they are aware of the play on words
Abe Erb in Kitchener has opened.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/706367...-kitchener
I was there last Thursday with some friends after seeing a movie at the Apollo.  It was Taco Thursday and we tried the Fish Tacos. They served 3 tacos for $9 and it consisted of : Hawaiin, Shallot (onion) and Guacamole. It was a unique combination of breaded fried fish served in a burrito shell and  it went well with the "1857" Kolsch and the "Men in Night" (Play on words for Mennonite) beers.

Didn't it open a few weeks ago?
Been to the Kitchener location a couple of times now and really like the atmosphere, beer and the food.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »