Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(05-03-2021, 08:46 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 07:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Around these boards, when people talk about mistakes or omissions from Ion they almost always are referring to definite screw-ups, not “wouldn’t it be nice to have a subway”. The incremental cost of the things that are pointed out around here is usually in the range of zero to trivial. They didn’t leave off the Traynor crossing because of cost-cutting; that was pure incompetence. East/north end access to Frederick station? Didn’t think about what was required and apply creativity to get a better result. And so on.

Probably by spending a bit more there are some areas that could have been improved, but even there, those issues aren’t why the LRT operates like a snail. There is almost straight track along Courtland that sees them move at a jogging pace, for example. Topping out not at the typical speed of traffic but at the speed limit on road sections is policy, not design.

The portion on Courtland boggles my mind. It goes sooooooooooo soooooooo soooo slow you'd think it was trying to descend down Mount Everest even before it gets to the two ridiculous 90ish degree turns on Hayward Ave. Why the hell does it need to slow down to 5 km/h for just to make these turns? I take it to work very often and think to myself...I could get out and jog from Block Line Station to Mill Station faster than the LRT takes to get around these corners and yet people on this forum tell me I don't know what I'm talking about?

Nobody is saying that the LRT doesn't go slowly here. It does, it's insane, idiotic. But it doesn't go slow because it's an LRT or because it has too many turns, or because it's not elevated. It goes slowly here because our engineers are...to be blunt...stupid. Yeah, I'm not a railway expert, but there is zero justification for the train going this slowly. It's a bad policy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 05-03-2021, 09:12 PM