Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(04-19-2021, 08:49 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(04-18-2021, 11:48 PM)dunkalunk Wrote: I'm also of the opinion that the route through Cambridge is too indirect if the intention is to get to downtown Galt.

That's not the main intention though, they want the LRT to service the most frequented areas of the city. That includes "downtown Preston" and a huge chunk of what is unfortunately just low-rise industrial and retail down Hespeler Road so the chosen route makes the most sense. I think by the middle of this century, we'll see a lot of that low-rise development get redeveloped into a new planned urban space.

(04-19-2021, 07:22 AM)jamincan Wrote: I think in that hypothetical situation, the bus would like be routed via Fountain, not the 401.

Oops, yeah I forgot about that Fountain went there. That would make a Homer Watson LRT terminus make even less sense as it would add 8 kilometers of extra driving for a bus to get to Maple Grove/Fountain, not to mention add even more wasted time for transit riders themselves.

There is no reason we cannot route the busses up the 401 if we choose to (or even up our own busway), if that was our priority, and the data showed that direct up the 401 was the more effective choice both to support, we could do that.

And given the empty fields that front most of Fountain St., there's little reason to think we would bother putting a lot of busses up that route.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 04-19-2021, 10:55 AM