Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(12-19-2019, 06:24 PM)jeffster Wrote: OK. So I never gave thought about just how easy it is to travel through Hamilton (down the mountain). Having lived "on the mountain" a part of me was always jealous on how easily you could travel up Main Street or down King St, right up to Gage Park or from Gage Park right to the highway. In thinking of that, you realize just how much people would be inconvenienced during a build that would last several years.

In KW, we're used to slow moving traffic, nothing like Toronto, but we're used to it. Even the worst of times you can escape The Hammer really quickly. That makes sense why there is very little appetite for this LRT, including the downtown and surrounding area.

Having lived near downtown, walking across the five-lane expressway that is Main Street to get to the nearest grocery store, I was jealous of suburban Hamiltonians (and particularly folks in Dundas and Ancaster) whose neighbourhoods had not been carved up in this manner, and for whose benefit stupidly overbuilt roads like Main, Aberdeen or Victoria (I could go on) exist.

But it's true, accustomed to the free-flowing urban highways as they are, Hamiltonians would have been relatively more sensitive to the impacts of construction.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by MidTowner - 12-19-2019, 09:37 PM