Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(11-19-2019, 11:23 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 11:04 PM)jeffster Wrote: I think you're wrong there. It was definitely taken by the LRT, purchased by the region, for the train and for the parking -- that spot is now a parking lot. I don't believe it was ever on mall property.

Also, why wouldn't Fairview Park Mall want bus business? Can you prove it with a citation? It sounds ridiculous if true.

Can't speak for the mans visual being affected, but good chance he'll lose the river view, which was his complaint.

I don't feel like finding a citation, you can trust me or not, it was well documented that Fairview didn't want the buses on their property, that's the reason the bus terminal moved, you can even tell that the LRT station was designed to connect with the old bus terminal, not the new one, which had a wall blocking it until just recently.

As for why, it's one part the Bay complaining about bus passengers waiting in the vestibule (because it was heated) and one part not believing that many customers actually arrive by transit...but it's one reason I will no longer shop at Fairview.

As for his view, he certainly won't "lose" his river view, the LRT goes along the highway and over the river.
Citation: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/639...-terminal/
From TFA:
Quote:The Region of Waterloo plans to expropriate the Crabby Joe's and Burger King restaurants on Fairway Road to make way for a new bus terminal.

Politicians vote Tuesday to give staff approval to move ahead with acquiring the land at 296 and 300 Fairway Rd. S. in Kitchener.

Coun. Tom Galloway said the region hasn't been able to reach an agreement with Cadillac Fairview Corporation, which owns Fairview Park mall, to replace the existing Grand River Transit terminal there.

Instead, the region will take the two restaurant properties and merge them with a parking lot behind the two buildings that the region purchased from Cadillac Fairview about a year ago.

"They've been quite unwilling to negotiate anything so it forces our hand into having to purchase these properties," he said.

Cadillac Fairview could not be reached for comment.

In 2009, The Record reported that there were concerns from the mall about the terminal location. The terminal is in the west parking lot, and The Bay had several concerns, including people standing in the entrance to stay warm or cool, depending on the season. It was especially trying when students from several local schools waited for transfers.

In other words, the expropriation was the result of a need for a new bus terminal in the vicinity and the lack of co-operation of Cadillac Fairview in allowing said bus terminal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by trainspotter139 - 11-20-2019, 01:54 AM