Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(11-01-2019, 08:01 AM)jamincan Wrote: An interregional transit service between Guelph and Waterloo Region is one of those things that would likely have to be dealt with by Metrolinx, and that Metrolinx has precisely zero interest in. I don't think there's a lot of interest in Guelph in closer ties with Waterloo Region either, even though I think it makes a lot of sense and would significantly strengthen both regions.

Ignoring political realities, I would strongly advocate for bus service prior to some sort of train service, but I'm not sure it would be as effective at tying the two regions together. There is something about a train line that seems to compress the perceived distance between two places. A bus just doesn't seem to be able to have the same effect.

I don't know that wanting or needing tighter ties with Guelph is relevant, there's already a great deal of travel between the two cities, which is what would be needed to support transit. Guelph is the biggest out of region destination, and vice versa. I'd rather investment into transit was tried first, before enormous funds were invested into a new highway, but sadly that's not how MTO works.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 11-01-2019, 10:38 AM