Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
Kevin, surely you aren't suggesting that politics would Trump good a business case and smart economics for the fiscally responsible party that I'd the Progressive Conservatives.

(11-19-2018, 10:43 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Kevin, surely you aren't suggesting that politics would Trump good a  business case and smart economics for the fiscally responsible party that I'd the Progressive Conservatives.

Was that intentional? Seems intentional... Big Grin
(11-19-2018, 08:32 PM)KevinL Wrote: That said, as far as representation of the local area goes, all the MP(P)s for the ridings (Kit S-Hespeler and Cambridge) involved are in their respective governing parties. If they can shout loud enough, who knows?

It is because those ridings help formed the government that the LRT funding will not come through. If the residents of those areas had wanted LRT they would have voted differently. Part of their vote was to ensure it would not be built.

You're more likely to see #8 doubled in lane capacity before phase #2 LRT gets funded by the province.

I could see the feds step in though. They seem to more than happy to step around the province more and more each week and handing out money directly instead of through or with the province. They did it with the climate fund a few weeks ago, and I could see it happen on other big issues where the feds and province differ on policy (e.g. transit, health/opioid, etc.).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(11-19-2018, 11:40 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-19-2018, 10:43 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Kevin, surely you aren't suggesting that politics would Trump good a  business case and smart economics for the fiscally responsible party that I'd the Progressive Conservatives.

Was that intentional? Seems intentional... Big Grin

Now that was just a happy accident.
(11-19-2018, 05:57 PM)Spokes Wrote: What did they say, I didn't see?

In a nutshell, as you know, $1 billion was committed to LRT in Hamilton by the provincial government (for a project for which a lot of planning has been undertaken). Part of the position of many pro-LRT advocates in that city is that a billion dollars of free provincial money should not be turned down.

During the municipal election, when a strong anti-LRT mayoral contender emerged, the provincial government (and specifically new Hamilton-area Tory MPP Donna Skelly) was quick to make clear that Hamilton could keep the $1 billion, no strings attached, to use for anything other than LRT if they so chose.
Doug Ford says if Hamilton's mayor wants LRT, he'll get LRT 

Quote:'If someone gets elected, let 'em govern,' Ford said of Fred Eisenberger and his pro-LRT platform 

Premier Doug Ford says if Hamilton's mayor wants a light rail transit (LRT) system, he's going to get one. 

Ford visited Grimsby Wednesday to announce money for West Lincoln Memorial Hospital. He also told reporters he's still committed to Hamilton's planned LRT system. The province, under the previous Liberals, committed $1 billion to build it.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/...-1.4924067

Wonder what this means for us?  Obviously slightly different in that we hadn't been promised any funding, but still interesting.
I wonder if this applies to Justin Trudeau getting elected and letting him govern, Carbon cost requirements and all.

(11-30-2018, 12:02 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I wonder if this applies to Justin Trudeau getting elected and letting him govern, Carbon cost requirements and all.

I never even thought of it that way, but thanks!  Incidentally the federal rule was always that if the provinces wouldn't implement the tax the feds would do it for them.  This was known long before Doug scrapped Ontario's cap and trade.
(12-01-2018, 11:48 AM)KevinT Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 12:02 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I wonder if this applies to Justin Trudeau getting elected and letting him govern, Carbon cost requirements and all.

I never even thought of it that way, but thanks!  Incidentally the federal rule was always that if the provinces wouldn't implement the tax the feds would do it for them.  This was known long before Doug scrapped Ontario's cap and trade.

Subject to the outcome of the current court challenges by several provinces, that remains the plan.
(12-01-2018, 12:12 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 11:48 AM)KevinT Wrote: I never even thought of it that way, but thanks!  Incidentally the federal rule was always that if the provinces wouldn't implement the tax the feds would do it for them.  This was known long before Doug scrapped Ontario's cap and trade.

Subject to the outcome of the current court challenges by several provinces, that remains the plan.

Subject to the court challenge, yes. But most legal experts expect the challenge to fail, as the federal government is within its constitutional rights to do this. (I'm not a lawyer, so just repeating what I have been reading for the past six months or so.) But given that the Ontario government has a large surplus and nothing else that needs funding, it's probably a great plan to spend the money on lawyers.
(sorry, deleted my first post so I could confirm some information first)

The region will apparently be hosting PCC 4b on on March 20 from 4-8pm in the Preston Memorial Auditorium. The notice they're sending out helpfully says the PCC was last year Tongue

[Image: ZPO2535.jpg]
Up on the site now:

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...uments.asp
(02-28-2019, 04:46 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Up on the site now:

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...uments.asp

The fixed the date typo in the 4b announcement document, but they've retrodicted last year's May PCC into 2019 on that page. :-)

This article seems to suggest they have a bit more of a refined plan around the Preston station that will be first presented here on the 20th.
Stage 2 Consultation Package is now out:

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...Access.pdf
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »