Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
Doug Ford has stated he wants subways. (God forbid) if he is elected, maybe he will pay to bury the entire Preston stretch (including the grand entranceway to the city that in no way is ruined by a Canadian Tire Gas Bar).

Coke

New light rail route still riles some Preston residents

Quote:Moore Street resident Brian Price believes the region is missing the boat with routing the light rail system through his neighbourhood.

“It should be going out Maple Grove Road, through the industrial area and over to Speedsville Road, where all those new houses are being built,” he said.

Etc. etc. The Cambridge Times is also incorrectly stating 100 homes on Eagle St would have been demolished under the original plan. Based on the PCC boards it would have been more like 30-40 potential buyouts, with 50-65 in the entire Preston area.
The latest information compared the property takings of the two routes:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Hmm, those numbers would seem to show that the people saying "100 homes will be demolished" were actually right...
Whose numbers are those? Anyone can make a table and put numbers in it, I would like to know the source.
(05-14-2018, 09:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Whose numbers are those? Anyone can make a table and put numbers in it, I would like to know the source.

The line above the image is a link. It's from a Regional report.

Though, note that these are totals of properties, which could be residential or otherwise; and it's along the whole route, not just in Preston.
(05-14-2018, 08:42 PM)Canard Wrote: Hmm, those numbers would seem to show that the people saying "100 homes will be demolished" were actually right...

Stop the LRT thru Preston was claiming 100 homes would be demolished in Preston alone, when it was apparently more like 50-65 potential property buyouts. The latest preferred route takes that number down to 17-35 (again, in Preston), which is why they've changed their tune to complaining about traffic backups and ugly bridges and forming coalitions with other community groups.

Just in case it wasn't clear that they were simply anti-LRT.
(05-14-2018, 09:19 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 09:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Whose numbers are those? Anyone can make a table and put numbers in it, I would like to know the source.

The line above the image is a link. It's from a Regional report.

Though, note that these are totals of properties, which could be residential or otherwise; and it's along the whole route, not just in Preston.

Ah, thanks. Dark blue linked text isn't always noticeable as a link … at least not to my eyes.
On my last few times through Preston, sidestreets and all, it seems to me that all lf the anti-Stage 2 signs are completely gone.

The signs were red and white.

Now, all you see are blue political signs.

My suspicion: basically everyone who hated the LRT also votes Tory, and the thought of their neighbours confusing a red anti-LRT sign for a Liberal one outweighed their hate for the expansion.

I laughed out loud when I noticed this...
Any thoughts on what the recent political shift will mean for Stage 2?
From what there is of a PC 'platform', they expressed support of rapid transit here generally. no specifics in that regard, though...
(06-08-2018, 04:55 PM)KevinL Wrote: From what there is of a PC 'platform', they expressed support of rapid transit here generally. no specifics in that regard, though...

Subways! Subways! Subways!

All chances for phase 2 have gone out the window.
Ya my confidence is not high
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »