Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(11-29-2017, 03:43 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: And what do they look like? Strip malls, industrial parks, and suburban sprawl. Galt, Preston, and Hespeler have urban cores and a built environment that could easily be enhanced with proper planning. Same with Streetsville and Port Credit. They haven't become suburban anonymity. You've contradicted yourself in your argument.

Those areas were once actual cores, but in being absorbed into Mississauga and not pushing to be a hub, they became an indistinguishable part of the landscape. Streetsville and Port Credit are somewhat alive, about the only ones which can say that, but as mentioned are known for their GO stop rather than what little development and intent exists there. The only people who know, are pointed to, or see value in those areas are the locals, and usually older ones at that. I would compare it to my own experience, as someone incredibly engaged in the region, I have visited Galt perhaps a half dozen times in over a dozen years, have strolled Preston once, and have never been to Hespeler. I'm not proud of it, but it's what the focus (or non-focus) residents have put on those areas has achieved.
(11-30-2017, 09:01 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: [quote pid='45571' dateline='1511988219']
Those areas were once actual cores, but in being absorbed into Mississauga and not pushing to be a hub, they became an indistinguishable part of the landscape. Streetsville and Port Credit are somewhat alive, about the only ones which can say that, but as mentioned are known for their GO stop rather than what little development and intent exists there. The only people who know, are pointed to, or see value in those areas are the locals, and usually older ones at that. I would compare it to my own experience, as someone incredibly engaged in the region, I have visited Galt perhaps a half dozen times in over a dozen years, have strolled Preston once, and have never been to Hespeler. I'm not proud of it, but it's what the focus (or non-focus) residents have put on those areas has achieved.

[/quote]

At the risk of veering off topic further, I have to disagree with that. Particularly Streetsville and Port Credit are vibrant and desirable places to live. I know young people who grew up in Streetsville who consider themselves natives of that neighbourhood first, and Mississauga second. And I know people (not old, not native to the region) who have moved to Clarkson and Port Credit who are very conscious of the value of those centres.
Natives of Streetsville/Galt first, Mississauga/Cambridge/(RoW) second is indeed a part of the problem. The importance of an area, in my reference here, depends on its ability to be recognized, sought out, and seen positively by those who do not/have not lived there, for both leisure and business reasons. In Toronto, Danforth, Queen West, Liberty Village, these would be examples of areas which are known and sought out by outsiders (though with varying degrees of welcome to new developments of residential or employment in nature).
I expect the same could be said of Port Credit for Mississauga, and to an extent Streetsville. Those are the two areas that would be at the top of my list.

It's all going to be in the marketing. To an extent that depends on developers, not on residents; residents make an area desirable, but developers tell you why that's a good idea. There's still room in all three downtowns for higher-density development without automatically going to high-rises. Maybe a couple here and there, but don't overdose; not many people are going to buy the "destroyed the town to save it" argument. Save wholescale high-rise building for Hespeler Road.