Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
I learned on this forum that “UpTown” means “Downtown Waterloo” and “Downtown” means “Downtown Kitchener”.

I don’t know what Downtown Cambridge is. But then again, I suppose a lot of people don’t. Big Grin

(11-16-2017, 01:20 PM)Canard Wrote: I learned on this forum that “UpTown” means “Downtown Waterloo” and “Downtown” means “Downtown Kitchener”. 

DTK!
Cambridge can't agree on what's downtown, heck they can't even decide whether they want LRT or the downtown intensification it's going to bring in any of their downtowns, so why should the rest of the region feel pressured to anoint a downtown? By their decisions and investments, Hespeler Road would almost seem to be the future choice, just as Mississauga, once formed, shunned all development from its historic core, Streetsville, and it's now a footnote to the big boxes around Square One.
I know what you mean, but downtown Waterloo just doesn't work in my head. There's no such thing! Same thing with downtown Cambridge.
I have no problem with the phrase 'Downtown Galt'. This is a definitive place that can't be confused with Preston, Hespeler, etc.
(11-16-2017, 02:03 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Cambridge can't agree on what's downtown, heck they can't even decide whether they want LRT or the downtown intensification it's going to bring in any of their downtowns, so why should the rest of the region feel pressured to anoint a downtown? By their decisions and investments, Hespeler Road would almost seem to be the future choice, just as Mississauga, once formed, shunned all development from its historic core, Streetsville, and it's now a footnote to the big boxes around Square One.

Clearly, Downtown Cambridge is Cambridge Centre Mall. It's in the middle and Hespeler Road is a very important intensification corridor.
Officially "downtown" is Galt. (Calling the area "south Cambridge" was about as successful as calling Scotland "North Britain"). In practice, the city centre is along Hespeler Road. The best part of that status is that nothing along Hespeler Road has even the remotest architectural merit. Even allowing for clearing out of dead wood in Galt, the redevelopment potential is limited just by geography. That said, once an ION/GO station near Dundas and the railway tracks is opened, I can see pressure growing on CP to move their yard to Ayr as proposed a few years ago. That'll open up a lot of acreage for development.

Cambridge has the same issue as Mississauga: there's more than one downtown. Mississauga has Streetsville, Cooksville, Clarkson, and Port Credit; Cambridge has its three cores. Galt and Preston will benefit most from LRT; Hespeler will only benefit if there's a "Phase III" that connects Cambridge to Guelph along the GEXR railway tracks; I don't see that happening any time soon.

Wait, wait, what about Blair? It was around even before Galt, Hespeler and Preston ...
It's part of Cambridge, but I hesitate to call it a "downtown" when it consists of a coaching inn turned office building, wine bar, dental clinic, and auto body shop. By that definition you could consider Erindale, Meadowvale, and Malton "downtowns" of Mississauga even though their urban form is decidedly suburban. (And really Cooksville is a borderline example.)
Quite right -- I really posted that tongue-in-cheek ... Smile
Seems a generally very anti-Stage 2 LRT group has popped up on facebook - not much to report, with only 52 members. Likely all folks along Eagle (the red sign/shirt peeps):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/100298110502423/
I've found myself even avoiding driving on Eagle just to dodge the stupid.
The Phase 2 Engage feedback form is now live and open until December 31st.

https://www.peakdemocracy.com/portals/274/Issue_5649

Why are people that don't want LRT to run on their street stupid? Because they disagree with you does that mean that they are stupid? Are they not entitled to voice their opinions? You don't have to agree with them but that does not mean that you should be labeling people as unintelligent.
Yeah, I'd hold back on the ad hominem.
They have opinions, very loud opinions, and those are influenced by their preference for the status quo. I think we'll all make more headway by treating these as rational people.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »