Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
I'd like to see Conestoga served by a crosstown route - Fairview-Homer Watson-Conestoga-Sportsworld-Airport. If the main route doesn't end up going through Maple Grove, put a couple stops there too. Maybe even extend it to the future GO station in Breslau if there proves to be enough traffic to justify it.

I do have one issue with the Eagle routing: the gap between the Preston stop and Pinebush is awfully big for a route going through a populated area. It might not be a bad idea to rough in features for a future stop at Speedsville/Concession. There's plenty of density potential there, not to mention the potential customer base already there.

What's the argument for a bus route to the Airport at this point?

I still stand by my "Offer an airport specific route that runs before the big commercial flights" and leave it at that.  If that shows demand, then we can look at a real route.

Edit: Maybe I misunderstood and you mean in the future.
(07-13-2017, 01:06 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: What's the argument for a bus route to the Airport at this point?

I still stand by my "Offer an airport specific route that runs before the big commercial flights" and leave it at that.  If that shows demand, then we can look at a real route.

Edit: Maybe I misunderstood and you mean in the future.

I think your idea is pretty good. Instead of offering bad service all the time, offer exactly the service that might actually help current clients of the current flights. If that proves popular, then more frequent service might be justifiable if airplane traffic increases.
Please note that I was referring to a hypothetical ION Route 2. Since we still have to finish Route 1, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Another letter to the editor this morning from someone involved with the Stop LRT Preston group, again making it clear they oppose LRT anywhere in Preston (calls for it to meet the sprawling areas around Toyota and Maple Grove), as well as continues to claim that 90-100 buildings will be demolished.

https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/...r-foolish/
(07-19-2017, 07:29 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Another letter to the editor this morning from someone involved with the Stop LRT Preston group, again making it clear they oppose LRT anywhere in Preston (calls for it to meet the sprawling areas around Toyota and Maple Grove), as well as continues to claim that 90-100 buildings will be demolished.

A number of years ago when the opposition to Phase 1 was trying to up it's rhetoric, one person wrote a letter to the editor suggesting that world class cities only have subways and not light rail.  I wrote in response that London and Paris must not be world class because they have light rail.  It went unpublished, but the trend continues that ignorant people will make up facts to suit their interests.
(07-19-2017, 08:13 AM)timio Wrote:
(07-19-2017, 07:29 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Another letter to the editor this morning from someone involved with the Stop LRT Preston group, again making it clear they oppose LRT anywhere in Preston (calls for it to meet the sprawling areas around Toyota and Maple Grove), as well as continues to claim that 90-100 buildings will be demolished.

A number of years ago when the opposition to Phase 1 was trying to up it's rhetoric, one person wrote a letter to the editor suggesting that world class cities only have subways and not light rail.  I wrote in response that London and Paris must not be world class because they have light rail.  It went unpublished, but the trend continues that ignorant people will make up facts to suit their interests.

It wasn't published?  What standards exactly does the record use when publishing letters?!

On the other hand, I think it would not be terrible to push for a subway.  Some may agree or disagree with this particular political tactic, but it's used pretty much everywhere in our society.  You have the subway on the table for the same reason you have the 100 inch TV sitting in the store, so that people will buy the 60 inch TV, basically, you make LRT look like the sweet spot medium product which is what everyone really wants.

(07-19-2017, 09:16 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-19-2017, 08:13 AM)timio Wrote: A number of years ago when the opposition to Phase 1 was trying to up it's rhetoric, one person wrote a letter to the editor suggesting that world class cities only have subways and not light rail.  I wrote in response that London and Paris must not be world class because they have light rail.  It went unpublished, but the trend continues that ignorant people will make up facts to suit their interests.

It wasn't published?  What standards exactly does the record use when publishing letters?!

On the other hand, I think it would not be terrible to push for a subway.  Some may agree or disagree with this particular political tactic, but it's used pretty much everywhere in our society.  You have the subway on the table for the same reason you have the 100 inch TV sitting in the store, so that people will buy the 60 inch TV, basically, you make LRT look like the sweet spot medium product which is what everyone really wants.

To be fair to the Record, I think they have published other letters and/or op-eds suggesting facetiously that London, Paris, etc. must not be world-class for that exact reason. But it still seems strange not to publish when compared to some of the objectively bollocks letters that are published.
They published mine.
Wasn't there supposed to be a third public information centre sometime this fall? Does anyone know if this is still planned or if it has been postponed?
Next round of public consultations scheduled for Stage 2 ION

announced today
Public Infosession 3 information is up!

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...uments.asp

Info Package:
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...ackage.pdf
Presentation boards:
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...Boards.pdf

Lots of juicy juicy pictures and maps in there.
That's... that's a lot of Preston options. Wow.

I do like the idea of using the railway line to bypass the uphill part of Eagle, though fitting it past the old Geoffrey Patterson/Aclo building will require a single-track bottleneck. I'm not sure why using that would require all that much railway company approval; the tracks are gone. If they're not using it, it shouldn't be too hard for LRT to use it from the railway's perspective.

The doubling back section at the 401 interchange is...odd. It's a shame they can't turn it at Sportsworld/Maple Grove and have it hug the railway line till Riverside Park. Having the LRT stop so far away from the Sportsworld bus stop seems like a missed connection opportunity.

If these are the only options, I'd have to go with M-M2-H-R-(Eagle)-V-Y, preferably with a stop at Eagle/Speedsville/Concession. That's a big stretch without a stop in an area with an existing population (and with generous density potential).
Me Like:

WHAT?  We are going with streetcars now?

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »