Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
Preston Residents voice concerns over proposed LRT route

Those two are at it again... and want option N2 (Sportsworld/Toyota) to be revived because it goes "close to the airport".

Unless it's going by the front door, it's not going to make the slightest difference.

There's no really good way to get it between the highway and Eagle though. Whichever option they pick has drawbacks.
Well, this isn't good:

http://www.570news.com/2017/05/01/stop-l...cambridge/

It's pretty bad. Sad I just drove through there; in some areas basically every other house has signs up. Some have two.
There are some people who would have the same reaction to a sidewalk being installed in front of their house. (eg. Glasgow St).
Well, it's one particular segment of the neighbourhood feeling maligned (why does it have to go down OUR street?), so that voice is concentrated, while the pro-LRT voices are far more widespread. They want to ensure their voice is heard; this sends a bold message.

What I'd like to see is have some representatives come up to, say, the Borden-Ottawa area and see what the existing tracks look like going along residential streets. Talk to the homeowners there and get their experience. Emphasize the low amount of noise the trains will produce, the convenience of having a station in walking distance. Win hearts and minds.
Proposed LRT route in Cambridge a no-go for Preston residents
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.4097440

Quote:Cambridge Mayor Doug Craig, who sits on regional council, said he agrees with Preston residents, as do his fellow regional councillors Karl Kiefer and Helen Jowett.

"We will not be supporting the preferred route. There is no question about that," he said.
It's such an ugly sign, too. I always get a chuckle out of how bad and angry the "no" signs are... for anything. The wind turbine ones are the worst.

There's actually one on highway 7 up north that says in blood-red giant letters "THINK OF THE CHILDREN".

I wonder if there's any way to have it use the CPR route between Sportsworld and Eagle. Nobody in the article seems to be complaining about the Eagle portion.
(05-03-2017, 03:21 PM)KevinL Wrote: Proposed LRT route in Cambridge a no-go for Preston residents
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.4097440

Quote:Cambridge Mayor Doug Craig, who sits on regional council, said he agrees with Preston residents, as do his fellow regional councillors Karl Kiefer and Helen Jowett.

"We will not be supporting the preferred route. There is no question about that," he said.

Has Craig indicated his preferred route?
(05-03-2017, 03:24 PM)Canard Wrote: It's such an ugly sign, too. I always get a chuckle out of how bad and angry the "no" signs are... for anything. The wind turbine ones are the worst.

There's actually one on highway 7 up north that says in blood-red giant letters "THINK OF THE CHILDREN".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFqhjaGh30

I mean, I have a small amount of sympathy for some of the anti-wind stuff, but “Think of the children”? That’s a bit much.
Comment from the chair of the Preston BIA on today's anti-LRT circlejerk on CTV's Facebook page.

[Image: addQkWA.png]
/\ Very well written on the part of BIA Chair, Tony Schmidt. I am glad to hear voices of support from Cambridge. Those in Cambridge who support LRT need to make sure they are heard.

And by what Mr Schmidt said regarding his disapproval with the way his comments were edited, it seems CTV (CKCO) may just have an anti-LRT slant after all.
Where is that posted? I couldn't find it on their page.

/\ Are you referring to my comment about CTV? If so, it's on the second and third line of his long comment posted above.

Oh, nevermind. I figured out you must be talking about the whole discussion on Facebook. Sorry about that.
(05-04-2017, 08:57 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Where is that posted? I couldn't find it on their page.

Here's a link that should work if you're logged in.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »