Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(03-04-2024, 12:33 PM)SF22 Wrote: I kind of want the Region to go "Okay, if you don't want an LRT, then we'll just move to planning Phase 3" and I bet you'd see something for University or Victoria or Ottawa get planned and approved SO fast.

I would take that bet...

If we skipped phase 2 (which isn't necessarily the worst idea in terms of transit planning, but politically, completely untenable), yes, there are plans to put an LRT on one of those roads.

But if you think that the people in Kitchener are less curmudgeonly and NIMBYist than Cambridge, well...you're wrong. You only need to go to any meeting about any development to see just how obstructionist the people in the city can be. Yes Cambridge's arguments often circle around "Cambridge victimhood" which doesn't exist in Kitchener, but this type of obstructionism is simply based on what excuses one can come up with...older upper middle class white people have no end of reasons why they are being oppressed.

So yeah, you're going to have exactly the same obstructionism going towards this, while you also have Cambridge now (reasonably) demanding that the plan include them.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 03-04-2024, 02:25 PM