Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(02-28-2024, 10:02 AM)SF22 Wrote:
(02-28-2024, 09:50 AM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: Some news today in the Record about Phase 2 and the upcoming business case - expected to be ready "end of 2025."

https://archive.is/VUc4R

I've personally wondered about option 4 (assuming it still follows the original Hespeler Rd alignment) as a possible interim option, with a BRT link between Preston and Fairway. At this point, I'd be happy to even see a full BRT system. It would at least reserve the space for upgrading to rail in the future while also making Hespeler Rd a more livable space.
How could there be a separated Cambridge line? You'd have to build a second maintenance building in Cambridge somewhere, which would be another large land acquisition and then the cost to actually build the thing. I'd love to see the breakdown of cost on that option vs the original Cross-The-Grand plan.

"If approved, Phase 2 construction could start in 2032 and would likely take five or six years." So looking at 2037/38 as our best-case scenario, which is EIGHTEEN YEARS after the completion of Phase 1 (June 2019). Was there ever any indication that it would take so long? If they are serious about doing a Phase 3, I sincerely hope that we get started on the proposals long before Phase 2 is underway.

I kinda figured this would be the timeframe...honestly...but I'm a cynic.

I think a separated line doesn't make much sense. Cambridge just by itself probably doesn't justify an LRT. And without connecting to the rest of the region it doesn't serve as a regional connector/integrator. If the city was large enough, it probably would make sense, but it just isn't that big.

Honestly, I am disappointed.  I want to see politicians push back on these absurd cost projections. Chuck at Strongtowns had a good podcast recently about the problems with procurement in NA.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 02-28-2024, 10:31 AM