Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(05-18-2023, 09:10 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(05-18-2023, 07:42 AM)dunkalunk Wrote: Under the current Cambridge council, I don't see Stage 2 happening.

https://www.therecord.com/news/council/2...o-way.html

Keeping the current car lane count on Hespeler is hostile to pedestrians and antithetical to the stated purposes of the Stage 2 expansion.

Hespler is a regional road so the city has no jurisdiction on deciding the design of Hespler, so when the LRT eventually gets put it Hespler will be shrunk to 4 lanes and Cambridge can't do anything about it, all they're doing is making it 6 lanes so they can change the current zoning along Hespler.

What would we interesting to see is if Ford does something similar to the entire Peel situation and dissolves the region into individual cities. Then Hespler would turn over to Cambridge and then they would have the jurisdiction over Hespler. Which would seemingly mean no LRT.

I mean, the LRT is a regional project as it is, so if the region were disbanded, you could definitely write off the Cambridge expansion - although I'm certain that Cambridge would demand their portion of the LRT cost back since they would have nothing to show for it.

The entire thing would probably be a legal nightmare. I can't imagine that there's anything written into the LRT contracts that states what would happen if the cities no longer operated under a unified regional banner.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by SF22 - 05-18-2023, 10:39 AM