Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(04-26-2023, 05:23 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(04-24-2023, 11:54 AM)dunkalunk Wrote: On the subject of cutting corners, 2 crossings of CP's track and 3km can be removed from the route if instead of diverting to Hespeler Rd, the route stays West of CP's track and runs through Preston. I don't know that the additional cost and time of serving Hespeler Rd is worth it for the sake of development potential.
[Image: wOuE4OK.png]

I understand that we have a group that wants to 'Stop the LRT thru Preston' but if it actually served more of Preston, then property values go up, as well as local residents' retirement savings.

In terms of value engineering, there are a couple of things that this route could accomplish.
  • The route doesn't require an expensive rail-rail grade separation in a constrained corridor on Eagle St to serve Hespeler Rd
  • The route could run on the existing or upgraded Dundas St bridge over the CP yard.
  • Run in mixed traffic on Queenston Rd with right-in right-out at intersections for private vehicles so that less property acquisition is needed.
  • Uses the existing median on Coronation Blvd that used to carry the Galt, Preston, and Hespeler street railway.

King St in Preston is not suits for centre running, two track LRT and a vehicle lane on either side like Charles St. in Kitchener was turned into, it's just too narrow.

And Queenston Rd. as you chose for the first bit would require significant expropriations to run two track LRT plus even just a single vehicle lane.

I'm not sure why you say it's too narrow...it's four lanes the whole way.

And yes, I know Cambridge....-ites....-ers...*googles*...Cantabrigians?! really?!  Okay then. Cantabridgians believe the world will literally end if that road has less than four lanes...but...I mean...they're tiresome...hardly a real objection...this is a fantasy map anyway.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 04-26-2023, 05:48 PM