Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(04-21-2023, 02:05 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's always odd to see how working class conservatives spit on the idea of projects and policies that benefit them. It's this particular class (I don't wish to use that word as I am not classist, but it relates to the education of many working class...or lack there of) that thinks policies that benefit them are bad. You hear the rhetoric of this group towards Liberal, NDP or Green policies: Trudeau just wants to tax us, we're already poor enough! They don't have the knowledge or seemingly ability to look outside their personal bubble to see that yes, higher taxes aren't always nice to see, but they do benefit them. The Finnish, for example, are highly taxed but it's those taxes that provide benefits for everyone, whether it's better transit or better health care which means they don't need to pay out of pocket for things.

It's closed mindedness and failing to see the bigger picture...but when the time comes to complain about things, they'll start screaming for change (but then when presented with solutions they don't want them).

And back to the conservatism: the working class conservatives usually get conned by the wealthy conservatives. It's how Trump got in in the USA. A scummy, wealthy, failed businessman tricked tens of millions of average Americans into thinking he was on their side when in reality he disdains them all. They're just easy votes to capture.

I think their general rationalization is that 'I worked hard for what I have, you should too' They don't care if it benefits them, its everyperson for themselves. This kind of relates to the concept of the 'American Dream'
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by neonjoe - 04-21-2023, 02:15 PM