Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(04-21-2023, 09:39 AM)bravado Wrote:
(04-21-2023, 08:26 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I want phase 2 to happen, but I work in the industry and construction cost have doubled in 5 years.

This particular fact isn’t Cambridge’s fault and it’s more than a bit frustrating to take the word of NIMBYs and their newspaper mouthpieces as the true voice of Cambridge. 

How many people in this forum have the resources to just move away and then be smug about it online? People actually live here and there’s no leadership whatsoever.

It’s really disheartening to keep having this conversation because it eventually leads to real enmity and creates new NIMBYs.

Edit: forgive my crankiness, it just seems like “we managed to twist the arms of everyone in KW to get this thing built, so you guys in Cambridge are on your own now that we got ours”

But that's the issue. We're offering to hand them a solution to improve the city through a 4+ billion dollar rapid transit system that would kickstart a development and infrastructure boom that would create thousands of new homes, jobs and boost their economy to an extent never seen before in their entire history.  But their response to this proposal is: muh tax dollars! New neighbours!?! No! New jobs! Not in my backyard.

So if they want to have this regressive attitude, then who really cares about them? Now of course it isn't every citizen of that city, but it's evidently the majority otherwise there'd be more pro-LRT voices and politicians seeking to get this thing built as soon as possible. But instead that's not what we are seeing. So maybe all they deserve is a few extra buses, stroads, traffic and unsafe streets. Yes most of them probably can't afford to move, but their rhetoric implies that they're content with the way things are in their lives in Cambridge and don't want to leave or see improvements.

That 4+ billion could build a second - possibly even third - LRT line in Kitchener and Waterloo.

Now of course I think they do deserve it and believe most of these people - naturally - have no idea what the positive implications of this area for the city, but we're handing them something amazing on a silver platter and most don't want it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by ac3r - 04-21-2023, 01:17 PM