Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(04-10-2023, 01:24 PM)ac3r Wrote: 'It’s never going to get cheaper': LRT expansion into Cambridge will cost a lot more than projected: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/it-s-never-...-1.6348388

A lot of the increased cost no doubt has to do with the economic catastrophe that resulted due to an excessively ridiculous reaction global response to the pandemic but I wager a lot also just had to do with waiting too long to do it. I'll be surprised if it ever gets built in the next decade.

If I was a resident of Cambridge I'd want to secede at this point. What a mess.

The actual costs of this project are no-where near what they are claiming. What one needs to do is a forensic accounting to see where this money is actually going. I guarantee that 70% of this is not going to the actual build (supplies, material, labour, design and buying property) but rather is lining the pockets of the elite.

Also with these crazy costs, I doubt we'll get any support from upper level governments. For one thing, a Federal "governing" Liberal party has never helped with any large projects around here - you need the Conservatives for that, and at this point, our country is so far in debt I can't see any help. I would also say that the provincial government would be a hard pass because of lack of support from the federal government, and questioning if it makes sense to run an LRT through what is mostly a sparsely populated city.

There is no way the region could afford this multi-billion dollar project. $4,500,000,000.00 works out to $7,500 for every citizen living in the region and about $8,700 for every citizen in the tri-city. Hell, it works out to $8 for every single person living in North America. That is freaking insane for such a tiny project!

Again, follow the money. There is a reason that everyone involved in something like this lives in a McMansion .. except for those actually doing the work.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by jeffster - 04-10-2023, 04:27 PM