Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(03-19-2023, 07:14 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 10:04 PM)KevinL Wrote: Yeah, it's like the old phrase 'don't measure the need for a bridge by counting the number of people swimming across the river'. There could be a LOT of latent demand unlocked.

And a 10 minute headway bus route would show you what that demand is quite handily since it's in or close to the zone of "just go to a bus stop and wait as it will be there soon" since the median wait time will be 5 minutes.

And that's exactly what we have in route 302, a 10 minute bus route.

If that route has not yet reached 4,000 riders a day, why do people think an LRT covering roughly the same route today would reach 7,000/day to be able to be cost competitive with a bus route?

Would a LRT increase ridership? Sure. Would it double the ridership from current? No, of course not.

Does anyone have the 2019 statistics to show what impact phase 1 had on ridership?

Just anecdotally, I've taken maybe... 5 buses since the LRT launched. And I've taken the LRT for hundreds of trips. When I go somewhere that isn't on the LRT route, I walk or bike if practical, or otherwise I take an Uber/taxi. Buses just aren't in the same class of transportation for me, and it's not just about headways.

I'm sure you're probably right that ridership wouldn't double overnight, but I think it's a bigger difference than you are giving credit for. I have to imagine most of the people taking the 302 are highly captive, and there is a lot of voluntary ridership to be gained.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by dtkvictim - 03-19-2023, 08:35 PM