Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
Probably in an emergency, but not something they’d allow in operation.

It’s a neat system; the entire guideway is about as intrusive as the OCS alone for LRT.

Anyway, back to reality. The alignment along the river is going to be gorgeous - I really hope this moves ahead.

The bypass of Eagle looks to be quite nice in how it passes through a lot of naturalized areas. Similar feel to the spur line in Waterloo.
It feels like a big gap between Preston and Hespeler, and the move off of Eagle seems to negate a possible station which could have been a decent transfer point or long term intensification node, or does that really seem pointless?
I can see a station (park & ride?) at Speedsville, eventually.
That’s a good idea Kevin!! And sill a possibility with the new route.

In general we need more Park-and-Rides. I appreciate that most people who post here are against them, but the vast majority of the Region still drive or don’t live near the line, so it’s good for ridership. And visitors! We always use park-and-ride lots on road trips when visiting other cities.
Stop the LRT thru Preston are now focusing their efforts on Shantz Hill. Their goal is ultimately to complain loudly enough that the region completely bypasses the area by running the route all the way up the 401 to Speedsville Rd.

Quote:Well we attended the LRT stage two PCC. Open House . sorry to say , still no answers to our Questions. It seems to be getting worse by the minute. The Region seems to be determined to bring the LRT down Shantz Hill on a wide high Bridge which will be like driving under the flyover in Kitchener. This means our view of coming down the hill will be of concrete standards and a high concrete bridge instead of the tree filled valley you see before you now. Then it crosses diagonally going east through the river and onto Chopin near King street. This section is all in flood plain and will impede the flow of water and flood the neighbouring yards. This is all environmentally wrong. The cost of this section, from the top of Shantz Hill , will be the most expensive part of the project. At the King and Eagle stop, it looks to be taking out the whole block of Chopin, Queenston, Eagle and King. This area will become a station with trains, buses and car parking. So now we have an area filled with fumes, traffic trying to turn left off of Eagle onto King, cars coming down King heading for Shantz Hill....oh wait, Stop, here comes the train every 7 minutes, not to mention the buses turning in and out!!! I could go on with more , but that's all for now, folks!! Please come to the meetings tonight from 4 to 8 at the Preston Aud and Thursday from 4 to 8 at the Hamilton Family Theatre ( formerly the Dunfield Theatre) in Galt. Please come and see for yourselves and give your comments. I hope you will try to save the entrance to our town and preserve our unique Town of Preston, in the City of Cambridge.
It's clear that's the only answer this group will take. They tried to work with them to come up with a compromise but they got their heals dug in.

They're worried about it crossing the river and potential to "impede the flow of water and flood the neighbouring yards", yet over the past year Preston residents successfully petitioned council to restore the dam which will do exactly that! I'm baffled by this.
There's the possibility for genuine concern with the Eagle/King station and traffic congestion, but it's buried in a lot of other overreactions and is hard to take seriously as a result.
(05-09-2018, 10:52 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Stop the LRT thru Preston are now focusing their efforts on Shantz Hill. Their goal is ultimately to complain loudly enough that the region completely bypasses the area by running the route all the way up the 401 to Speedsville Rd.

MTO already said NO to the 401 routing as a possibility
One of my coworkers (who lives in Cambridge and likes to call his MP, MPP & councillor endlessly) corned me yesterday and went on for 15 minutes about “how much better” the Toyota route would be.

He’s absolutely convinced there’s a massive conspiracy theory going on aboht the whole thing. It’s tiring.
Just bypass Preston and see what the future holds for them when it becomes too expensive to drive cars and they then need fast public transit.
(05-10-2018, 08:48 AM)kitborn Wrote: Just bypass Preston and see what the future holds for them when it becomes too expensive to drive cars and they then need fast public transit.

Phase 5 ...  Wink

I hope I'm not the only one who sees something like "The town of Preston in the City of Cambridge" as a very bad form of divisive identity politics and wall-building.
...isn't that exactly what it is, though?

From what I gather at work, people haaaaaaaaaate it when you say they're from Cambridge; they all want to be identified by their own little niche areas (for whatever reason).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »