Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
The thing to do now is to evaluate the Maple Grove routing against the other alternative always on the table, 'Do Nothing.'

@DHLawrence, I don't think you can compare the R&T Park to Maple Grove. A station at Maple Grove and Fountain would theoretically serve Toyota and Loblaw's, but I think it's highly unlikely that a significant number of Toyota employees would walk across fields of parking from the Ion stop to the factory. Nor is there a lot of redevelopment opportunity- Toyota is not (we hope) going anywhere any time soon.

I'd be curious to learn about other LRT systems that go through industrial areas. It doesn't seem the best idea at all, unless those industrial areas really do happen to be on the way.

(07-10-2017, 07:33 AM)MidTowner Wrote: The thing to do now is to evaluate the Maple Grove routing against the other alternative always on the table, 'Do Nothing.'
Or perhaps even consider a third choice.  Run it from Fairview to Sportsworld or Shantz Hill and allow the cambridge bus routes to connect there, and then run it down Fountain past the two Conestoga College campuses campuses closing the loop at Block Line or Fairview.  Would serve the college, a large industrial and residential area and allow for more effective connection with Cambridge than currently exists.  Realize it won't happen and that the Fountain street bridge would need even more reconstruction but always thought it a huge loss that Conestoga wasn't seriously considered for a rail connection.  Maybe Phase 3...
Garth
I confess to being a Phase 2 sceptic, but this discussion has me wondering - it's not surprising to hope that the LRT will follow an optimal route, but if the main practical impact will be to intensify development along Hespeler Rd and in the Galt core (is that the main expected impact?), does it much matter how the trains get there (as long as it's not some "milk run")?
Yes. I won't go to a pub in Galt if it takes me an hour. To extend that thought people in Kitchener will not go to Cambridge or vice versa if the trip takes too long and appears to take them too far out of the way. Sure, LRT can be a development tool, however, the primary goal of LRT should be to move people.
The primary goal of ION is to meet intensification objectives, not to move people. In "The story of rapid transit
in Waterloo Region" (https://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca..._final.pdf), moving people is on the third page of "Why do we need ION?"
LRT can concentrate development and meet intensification targets in ways that BRT can't. Thats why we built LRT instead of BRT or nothing. This of course doesn't mean that the route shouldn't be designed in a way that moves people efficiently, and will continue to do so in 20 years' time.
What's the difference in distance and travel time between Sportsworld and Pinebush between the two proposed segments?

(07-10-2017, 07:23 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: What's the difference in distance and travel time between Sportsworld and Pinebush between the two proposed segments?

This is a pretty key question to which I would also like to know the answer. What I can figure based on Google Maps:

King St to Speedsville/Eagle via Maple Grove: 7.2 km, 10 current traffic signals.
King St to Speedsville/Eagle via Shantz Hill: 4.6 km, 4 current traffic signals, lower speeds.
I'm trying to think of some way it could follow the rail alignment from Sportsworld and go at slightly higher off-road speeds, but I can't see it happening. I'd love to see it follow the rail alignment through Preston (either partly on the old CPR alignment behind Eagle or switching to on-Eagle trackage), but the cost would skyrocket. Plus there would be a single-track bottleneck when it passes the Geo. Pattison factory.
EDITORIAL: Where should LRT run in Cambridge?

https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/...ambridge-/
(07-10-2017, 10:32 PM)mpd618 Wrote: This is a pretty key question to which I would also like to know the answer. What I can figure based on Google Maps:

King St to Speedsville/Eagle via Maple Grove: 7.2 km, 10 current traffic signals.
King St to Speedsville/Eagle via Shantz Hill: 4.6 km, 4 current traffic signals, lower speeds.

Via Cherry Blossom road and Speedsville: 5.8 km, 4 current traffic signals.
I think the original hope by the region was to get the route approved quickly before politicians switched into 2018 re-election mode and while the provincial and federal taps are gushing. Now with this bit of political theatre I think the approach by the region will be to slow things down so the final decision is after the 2018 elections and the politicians can then claim both standing up for constituents and taking a sober second thought before ultimately making a logical and sound choice on the routing with the hope that all will be forgotten or put in perspective come 2022 elections.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
As long as they switch the approach to Preston I'll be happy. I can only think of two buildings on Eagle of even the remotest architectural merit that might be affected. I'd like it if the wood shop stayed, but that's more sentimental.

I don't know how much opposition would happen if the region was able to stick with one of its initial routes, either using the existing tracks infront of riverside park to get to eagle or navigating down the hill and getting on fountain/king to eagle.
(07-12-2017, 12:00 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: I think the original hope by the region was to get the route approved quickly before politicians switched into 2018 re-election mode and while the provincial and federal taps are gushing. Now with this bit of political theatre I think the approach by the region will be to slow things down so the final decision is after the 2018 elections and the politicians can then claim both standing up for constituents and taking a sober second thought before ultimately making a logical and sound choice on the routing with the hope that all will be forgotten or put in perspective come 2022 elections.

I still wish somebody would explain why the original EA for the entire Conestoga to Cambridge route that was almost done before the TPA for just the K-W portion was started couldn’t have been completed. It seems like we could have had an approved EA for the entire route by now, and maybe money for detailed design of the Cambridge portion could have already been found so that we would now have a shovel- (and money-) ready project.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »