Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Politics Discussion
General Politics Discussion

dunkalunk Wrote:sample text

maybe this should be a subforum?

You're right, it definitely should be.

This is great, and the kind of stuff we need. I'm doing my best to rack my brain to think of what threads we have, and samnabi is trying to recover some, but anything YOU USERS can remember is great. Post it over here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=66
Wasn't sure where to put this.

The region is hosting its own discussion board to collect input on priorities for 2015-2018.

"The Region will be collecting community input over the winter and spring of 2015 to identify where the region should focus financial and people resources to have the most impact on the community."

Info here:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...cinput.asp

Forum here:
http://stratchat.regionofwaterloo.ca/
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(01-29-2015, 12:22 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Wasn't sure where to put this.

The region is hosting its own discussion board to collect input on priorities for 2015-2018.

"The Region will be collecting community input over the winter and spring of 2015 to identify where the region should focus financial and people resources to have the most impact on the community."

Info here:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...cinput.asp

Forum here:
http://stratchat.regionofwaterloo.ca/

I'd put it some place prominent.  I was very impressed with the StratChat forum.  I'll be intrigued to see what ideas are suggested over the next few months.  Think of it like a WRConnected, but one where we know for certain that among others, the Region's CAO is listening.
The region has now schedule public forums and focus groups related to strategic planning.

Forums:
"Changing Community Demographics: The changes that affect us all!"
The Region of Waterloo would like to invite you to a Community Conversation to discuss our changing population and the trends that could shape our community’s future.
Keynote speaker Doug Norris (Chief Demographer at Environics Analytics) will discuss the shifts in our community’s population and the potential implications for policies, programs and services.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
7:00 – 9:00 pm
Waterloo Region Museum (Theatre)
10 Huron Road
Free parking available on site.

Friday, March 27, 2015
10:00am – 12:00 pm
150 Frederick Street
Kitchener, (Council Chambers)
This session will also be webcast.
RSVP online at: http://bit.ly/1vGSEPw

Focus groups:
Focus Group 1: March 6/15
99 Regina Street, S.
Waterloo
Room 508
1:00 - 3:00 pm

Focus Group 2: March 9/15
150 Frederick Street,
Kitchener
Room 110
10:00 - 12:00 pm

Focus Group 3: March 12/15
150 Main Street,
Cambridge
Board Room
1:00 - 3:00 pm

Focus Group 4: March 25/15
Sunnyside Home,
247 Franklin St. N.
Kitchener
10:00 - 12:00 pm

See link below for full details:
http://stratchat.regionofwaterloo.ca/messagecenter/list
It appears that Regional Councillor Wayne Wettlaufer has passed away.

https://twitter.com/Michaelharrispc/stat...8644503552

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Very sad news this am on the passing of Wayne Wettlaufer. A dedicated father who loved his community and Province  and served it proudly RIP</p>&mdash; Michael Harris, MPP  (@Michaelharrispc) <a href="https://twitter.com/Michaelharrispc/status/612672708644503552">June 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
Wow. Tragic. Thoughts are with his family.

Thoughts and prayers with the family at this sudden loss.

Since this is a rare occurrence, here is how the replacement process works:

HOW TO FILL VACANCIES ON COUNCIL

In the event that a municipal council seat becomes vacant, council must
declare the council seat vacant at its next meeting. However, if the vacancy
is due to the death of a member, the declaration may be made at either of its
next two meetings. A copy of the declaration must be forwarded immediately
to an upper-tier council if the declaration is made by a lower-tier and vice versa.
Section 263 (5)1 of the Act states that within 60 days of declaring the council
seat vacant, council must decide whether to fill the vacancy through a byelection
or by appointment for the remainder of the council term.

If a vacancy is declared after March 31 in a regular election year, the seat may
only be filled by appointment. Also, a vacancy must be filled unless it occurs
within 90 days before voting day of a regular election. If the vacancy occurs
within 90 days before a regular election, section 263 (5)3 of the Act states that
the municipality is not required to fill the vacancy.

If council decides to appoint a person to a vacant council seat, the appointee
must consent to the appointment and must be eligible to hold office. Council
decides what process it will use to choose the person it appoints.

If council decides to hold a by-election instead of appointing a person to fill
a vacancy, council must pass a bylaw to have a by-election. The Municipal
Elections Act, 1996, sets out the processes for a municipal by-election: http://
www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_96m32_e.
htm#BK84.
If they appoint someone people are going to freak out and say it's due to their pro-LRT agenda
That's what I was thinking, too; well, some people will...

An appointment might make sense later in the term, but less than a year in, I hope they have the sense to just call a byelection. I know it's costly, but I think it would be the right thing to do given that the individual will be representing us for 80% of a full term.
(06-23-2015, 09:57 AM)Spokes Wrote: If they appoint someone people are going to freak out and say it's due to their pro-LRT agenda

Then there is only one choice: Jay Aissa!!
The Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing is seeking feedback on the Municipal Elections Act including the topics of:
Ranked Ballots
Campaign Finance
Third Party Advertising
Accessibility
Enforcement

http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page11112.aspx
(06-23-2015, 10:14 AM)MidTowner Wrote: That's what I was thinking, too; well, some people will...

An appointment might make sense later in the term, but less than a year in, I hope they have the sense to just call a byelection. I know it's costly, but I think it would be the right thing to do given that the individual will be representing us for 80% of a full term.

Evidently, Regional Council may appoint the fifth-place finisher from last year, Elizabeth Clarke, to fill the vacancy left by Mr. Wettlaufer's death. I can see the sense, since she was only a few hundred votes behind in a relatively recent election. I still personally feel that a byelection would be called for.

Sounds good to me.

It's not like they're appointing the 5th person out of a race of 5 people!
No 6-month update on Ion progress or future construction plans in the planning and works agenda (although there reports about GO, pedestrian access at Hayward, removal of turning lane on Westmount at Glasgow, etc.) for next week, but there is another report posted. The final report of KPMG's service review of the region. It identifies 5 "top opportunities" for council to consider in the recommendations below as well as a tonne of other "Opportunities Requiring Additional Investigation." There will be a public meeting September 30, 2015 at 7:00 pm in the Regional Council chambers for public feedback on the report.

Recommendation: That the Region of Waterloo not renew its contract for direct delivery of Employment Ontario services at the conclusion of the current contract (March 31, 2016).

Recommendation: That the Region and interested municipalities (invite all area municipalities to participate) conduct a detailed review to further explore the feasibility of a shared data centre, and a shared service desk and deskside support service as a first step to expanded collaboration.

Recommendation: Restructure the road maintenance agreement based on the following principles to reduce the cost of road maintenance operations for the citizens of Waterloo Region:
-Establish the same rate structure for all participating area municipalities.
-Make the rate a combination of a fixed amount per km and a variable amount per km.
-The variable payment should be tied to the Environment Canada reported snowfall record.
-Municipalities should be able to manage expenses and retain any savings, subject to meeting the established service level.
-The above changes can be implemented in the short term with any municipalities that agree, or introduced as part of the next contract negotiation.
-That the Region explore with the Townships the desire to merge road operations by having the Region purchase services from the Townships – or sell services to the Townships.

Recommendation: The opportunity for incremental cost optimizations and revenue increases exist. The Region should complete the master plan/business plan and present their approach to increasing revenue and managing both operational and capital expenses.

Recommendation: The Region should establish a net levy target for airport management to budget against to control operating and capital expenditures.

Recommendation: The Region of Waterloo should test the market for a range of private sector involvement to determine the level of interest from potential private sector partners to not only drive operational and strategic goals but also reduce the operational costs and impact on the property tax levy.

Recommendation: That the Region develop a detailed plan to phase out the five Regionally owned Children’s Centres over a 5 year period, using the savings to expand the number of subsidized spaces available to be delivered by other childcare providers in the community.

Recommendation: That the Home Child Care operation should continue at present, with these changes over time:
a) Home Child Care should be expanded in areas as required to support the transition plan for the Children’s Centres.
b) Encourage / facilitate the formation of a full service home child care agency in the community, serving all age groups.

Other agendas for next week:
community services
administration and finance
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »