Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Politics Discussion
The provincial cabinet shuffle today will see two new roles for local MPPs, the Record reports.

Kathryn McGarry of Cambridge will be promoted from Natural Resources to become Minister of Transportation - a boost for that city's commuting aspirations?

Daiene Vernile of Kitchener takes her first cabinet post - Tourism, Culture and Sport. Her federal colleague, Bardish Chagger of Waterloo, holds the Tourism post in Ottawa.

(01-17-2018, 09:37 AM)KevinL Wrote: The provincial cabinet shuffle today will see two new roles for local MPPs, the Record reports.

Kathryn McGarry of Cambridge will be promoted from Natural Resources to become Minister of Transportation - a boost for that city's commuting aspirations?

Daiene Vernile of Kitchener takes her first cabinet post - Tourism, Culture and Sport. Her federal colleague, Bardish Chagger of Waterloo, holds the Tourism post in Ottawa.

Small Business and Tourism.  Also Government Leader in the House.
What's with local PC candidates avoiding interviews and debates?

How can I know if I want to vote for a candidate, if I can't get to know what they stand for, what type of person they are, if they are open to discussion and dialogue or receptive to new ideas, etc.?

Is this part of a broader strategy or just a coincidence?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
It's not really a new conservative strategy. They know they have a loose coalition of fiscal and social conservatives, and they want to keep everything on message. I'm guessing their data says that their base doesn't care about local candidates, just Doug Ford, and wants to avoid any gaffes.
(05-14-2018, 11:07 PM)taylortbb Wrote: It's not really a new conservative strategy. They know they have a loose coalition of fiscal and social conservatives, and they want to keep everything on message. I'm guessing their data says that their base doesn't care about local candidates, just Doug Ford, and wants to avoid any gaffes.

There will always be a shockingly large number of people willing to elect a nincompoop as premier (or president). But to actually win, they need to pull in a fair number of useful idiots who don’t actually want to elect a nincompoop, but who won’t realize they are about to do so unless he pretty much comes right out and says “I’m naked after all” on TV. Since he is a nincompoop, there is a chance he and/or his candidates might do so accidentally. Hence, the need to avoid any unnecessary engagements with the instruments of democracy.
(05-15-2018, 06:09 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 11:07 PM)taylortbb Wrote: It's not really a new conservative strategy. They know they have a loose coalition of fiscal and social conservatives, and they want to keep everything on message. I'm guessing their data says that their base doesn't care about local candidates, just Doug Ford, and wants to avoid any gaffes.

There will always be a shockingly large number of people willing to elect a nincompoop as premier (or president). But to actually win, they need to pull in a fair number of useful idiots who don’t actually want to elect a nincompoop, but who won’t realize they are about to do so unless he pretty much comes right out and says “I’m naked after all” on TV. Since he is a nincompoop, there is a chance he and/or his candidates might do so accidentally. Hence, the need to avoid any unnecessary engagements with the instruments of democracy.

People want change. However, wouldn't be surprised if the NDP pull off an upset like they did in 1990. Unsure if anyone is really comfortable with Ford, it could be the PC's undoing,
(05-14-2018, 10:48 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: What's with local PC candidates avoiding interviews and debates?

How can I know if I want to vote for a candidate, if I can't get to know what they stand for, what type of person they are, if they are open to discussion and dialogue or receptive to new ideas, etc.?

Is this part of a broader strategy or just a coincidence?

It makes me think of RuPaul's Drag Race. When you have to Lipsync for your Life, if you don't know the words... you're automatically gone, boom. Sashay Away, Douggie!

And, of course the strategy works. So there’s that. Sad
(05-15-2018, 06:25 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 06:09 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: There will always be a shockingly large number of people willing to elect a nincompoop as premier (or president). But to actually win, they need to pull in a fair number of useful idiots who don’t actually want to elect a nincompoop, but who won’t realize they are about to do so unless he pretty much comes right out and says “I’m naked after all” on TV. Since he is a nincompoop, there is a chance he and/or his candidates might do so accidentally. Hence, the need to avoid any unnecessary engagements with the instruments of democracy.

People want change. However, wouldn't be surprised if the NDP pull off an upset like they did in 1990. Unsure if anyone is really comfortable with Ford, it could be the PC's undoing,

They might yet do it -- the polls have been trending strongly in NDP's favour since the official campaign kicked off, and the popular support levels are now almost the same for the PCs and NDP (though the PCs are much more efficient so a given percentage will give them more seats than the NDP).
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/onvotes/poll-tracker/
A PC minority government would not be the worst result. Do it all over again in a year or so with a new Liberal leader in place. Although if all three parties remain fiscally irresponsible it won't make much difference.
By the way, have there been any local polla/media reports on how things are looking in the Waterloo Region ridings?
(05-24-2018, 10:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote: A PC minority government would not be the worst result.  Do it all over again in a year or so with a new Liberal leader in place.  Although if all three parties remain fiscally irresponsible it won't make much difference.

I think the likely outcome of a minority PC government though will be a PC majority in a year. Liberals aren't getting elected for at least a couple of years. There's a lot of people mad at them (many for legitimate reasons).
(05-24-2018, 10:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote: A PC minority government would not be the worst result.  Do it all over again in a year or so with a new Liberal leader in place.  Although if all three parties remain fiscally irresponsible it won't make much difference.

I'm OK with a minority, even for five years. It will force the party in power to moderate its worst behaviour.

But if the Liberals collapse totally (the latest poll tracker predict only two seats) we'll effectively have a two-party legislature and a minority will be very unlikely.

(05-24-2018, 11:30 AM)SammyOES Wrote:

I think the likely outcome of a minority PC government though will be a PC majority in a year.  Liberals aren't getting elected for at least a couple of years.  There's a lot of people mad at them (many for legitimate reasons).

Well, that would imply that things were not awful under a DoFo minority government, so I could live with that.  What it could do is change the dynamic if things WERE dreadful under a DoFo minority.

Personally, I don't see any satisfactory outcomes, just possibilities that might be less bad than others.   I'm still seriously considering whether to decline my ballot on election day (my riding, Ottawa-Vanier, will go Liberal).
(05-24-2018, 11:32 AM)tomh009 Wrote:

I'm OK with a minority, even for five years. It will force the party in power to moderate its worst behaviour.

But if the Liberals collapse totally (the latest poll tracker predict only two seats) we'll effectively have a two-party legislature and a minority will be very unlikely.

True.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »