Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Politics Discussion
This Kitchener by-election keeps getting better. I jokingly suggested Albrecht but they picked a candidate that lives in Keswick, ON.
Dougie isn't even trying here.

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2023/10/27...-election/
Ontario PCs announce candidate for Kitchener Centre by-election who resides in Keswick

We have a by-election set for Thu. Nov. 30.

No real stand out choice. Does Green win by default? Federally this area is Green.

I can't see very many Laura Mae voters sticking with NDP and their NIMBY city councillor. One dude lives two hours from here and his connection to the riding was going to school in Waterloo. Liberals running the third place finisher from the last election. A new city councillor that seems well liked.

Debbie Chapman - NDP
Rob Elliott - PC
Kelly Steiss - Liberal
Aislinn Clancy - Green

Provincial byelection in Kitchener Centre called for end of November
Voting day for residents in the riding will be Nov. 30

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.7015212

I voted for Laura Mae twice. I voted for Mike twice. I'm mostly stuck thinking my only decent choice is to extend the Green goodwill to Aislinn. I guess I will wait and see how the platforms are presented and go from there. I feel like the blue and red parties aren't even trying here.
I voted for Laura Mae Lindo twice because she was a great speaker and because I thought that as a person of colour I thought that she could best represent a community with an increasing number of immigrants. Without her to vote for, I will be going back to voting Green. I think that Aislinn Clancy will make an excellent MPP.
It certainly is going to be an interesting race. I don’t actually think being a stanch NIMBY will hurt Chapman as much as I wish it would, I don’t think many people pay much attention to it.
I think Chapman has local name recognition - but also NDP infighting this last week or two has been pretty bad for “the brand”. Seems like an election for the Greens to take, in theory…
local cambridge weirdo
Neither candidate can achieve much other than being a thorn in the paw of Dougie. I'm sure Debbie would be far more annoying as an MPP, but I would personally rather see Aislinn get the promotion.
I'm curious to get some detailed information on their stances on certain topics, like nuclear energy in Ontario and the push for improved GO transit in KW. If either Aislinn or Debbie outshines the other in their policies on those topics, I will probably vote in line with that. As many of us here, I voted for Laura Mae Lindo and Mike Morrice, and both are backing their respective party candidates.

The provincial leaders for the NDP and Greens are both people I support (Marit Stiles and Mike Schreiner), so that doesn't even make much difference in how I will choose to vote. Right now, I just need both candidates to share a detailed platform on their websites, because there is nothing of substance posted yet.

I don't live in Kit-Cen so can only observe, but my distaste of Chapman would definitely put my vote to Clancy if I were eligible.
(11-02-2023, 11:43 AM)KevinL Wrote: I don't live in Kit-Cen so can only observe, but my distaste of Chapman would definitely put my vote to Clancy if I were eligible.

Likewise and likewise.

Honestly I expressed my disappointment in Chapman's selection to a few NDP folks, and I was kinda surprised by how defensive they were. Sadly, at this point, I really don't think ANYONE in the politics, outside of apparently Conservatives, get just how angry people are about housing.

I greatly fear this being an issue that Conservatives use to gain power (and I realize entirely that they won't fix it...just like conservatives in the US play a big "drain the swamp" kinda song, but they are literally the swamp), because that would be a very sad day for Canada.
When Left Wing parties resist every action to build housing, it is no great surprise that the young and working class would flock to the conservatives. It feels like the only people who can afford to vote NDP right now are comfortably wealthy homeowners and/or passionate social justice warriors like our pal Beisan.
Found this on the Kitchener and Waterloo Reddit.

Probably not how you want to make your Queen's Park debut.

Just the video:
Debbie Chapman: Queen of NIMBYS
https://packaged-media.redd.it/9qdrozzv5...0ed558#t=0

The thread on Reddit.
Debbie Chapman: Queen of NIMBYS
https://www.reddit.com/r/waterloo/commen...are_button
1: like I said on Reddit, making me laugh and cheer for the PCs makes me angry
2: there’s nothing more reliable than a self-own from the NDP.
local cambridge weirdo
Queen of the NIMBYs is spot on. Someone ought to write that on her Duke Street office windows with some dry erase markers.

Anyone watch the debate? Here's the recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EriXr-zoJc

NDP calling for rent control is not unexpected, but it appeals ONLY to people who already are in adequate housing, anyone looking for housing won't be fooled by that.
(11-18-2023, 06:00 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Anyone watch the debate? Here's the recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EriXr-zoJc

NDP calling for rent control is not unexpected, but it appeals ONLY to people who already are in adequate housing, anyone looking for housing won't be fooled by that.

Won't is hopeful. The same as Chapman's insistence that limiting new housing is going to somehow help bring affordability back, words are cheap and its easy to pretend that solution is going to affect those seeking new rentals.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »