Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Politics Discussion
I went to the returning office today to vote early. There are 18 names on the ballot.

Edit: CBC article
Record-breaking number of candidates set to run in Kitchener Centre provincial byelection

One of the candidates is John Turmel, running in his 107th election.
(11-20-2023, 09:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: One of the candidates is John Turmel, running in his 107th election.

That is such a specific type of mental illness
local cambridge weirdo
(11-20-2023, 09:58 PM)bravado Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 09:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: One of the candidates is John Turmel, running in his 107th election.

You have to admire his dedication.
(11-20-2023, 05:59 PM)Acitta Wrote: I went to the returning office today to vote early. There are 18 names on the ballot.

Edit: CBC article
Record-breaking number of candidates set to run in Kitchener Centre provincial byelection

Yeah one more candidate and it would have broken the standard privacy screen enclosing your ballot. Not even sure the Libertarian candidate at the top of the list is really fully concealed.
(11-20-2023, 10:25 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 09:58 PM)bravado Wrote: That is such a specific type of mental illness

You have to admire his dedication.

It would probably break him if he ever won.
(10-30-2023, 03:44 PM)Chris Wrote: This Kitchener by-election keeps getting better. I jokingly suggested Albrecht but they picked a candidate that lives in Keswick, ON.
Dougie isn't even trying here.

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2023/10/27...-election/
Ontario PCs announce candidate for Kitchener Centre by-election who resides in Keswick

So both Liberals and PC's selected people from outside the city. Interesting. Looks like neither care.

I don't think any of the candidates should win, except maybe Kelly Stiess. Personal opinion.

On one had, I'd like to see Chapman win just to get her out of city hall. But she'll be as useless in Toronto as she is in Kitchener.

Kelly has ties with Kitchener, as she works for the city and works in Community Services as a Supervisor. Of all of them, she is the most qualified. If only because she works a lot with different neighbourhoods and should have a better pulse of the city despite living in Waterloo.

I am bad because I so want Chapman out of city hall. But damn...she'll be a horrible MPP.

(11-21-2023, 01:12 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(10-30-2023, 03:44 PM)Chris Wrote: This Kitchener by-election keeps getting better. I jokingly suggested Albrecht but they picked a candidate that lives in Keswick, ON.
Dougie isn't even trying here.

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2023/10/27...-election/
Ontario PCs announce candidate for Kitchener Centre by-election who resides in Keswick

So both Liberals and PC's selected people from outside the city. Interesting. Looks like neither care.

I don't think any of the candidates should win, except maybe Kelly Stiess. Personal opinion.

On one had, I'd like to see Chapman win just to get her out of city hall. But she'll be as useless in Toronto as she is in Kitchener.

Kelly has ties with Kitchener, as she works for the city and works in Community Services as a Supervisor. Of all of them, she is the most qualified. If only because she works a lot with different neighbourhoods and should have a better pulse of the city despite living in Waterloo.

I am bad because I so want Chapman out of city hall. But damn...she'll be a horrible MPP.

This comment is Ainsley Clancy erasure!

In all seriousness, of all the lawn signs I’ve seen in my neighborhood, about 75% of them are Green, with NDP making up the other 25%. Elsewhere in Kitchener Centre, I’ve seen a single Liberal sign and a single New Blue sign.

Obviously this isn’t representative of how the results will play out, but it’s definitely similar to how things looked before the Greens won the MP seat here.
(11-21-2023, 01:30 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote:
(11-21-2023, 01:12 PM)jeffster Wrote: So both Liberals and PC's selected people from outside the city. Interesting. Looks like neither care.

In all seriousness, of all the lawn signs I’ve seen in my neighborhood, about 75% of them are Green, with NDP making up the other 25%. Elsewhere in Kitchener Centre, I’ve seen a single Liberal sign and a single New Blue sign.

Obviously this isn’t representative of how the results will play out, but it’s definitely similar to how things looked before the Greens won the MP seat here.

It's not impossible...

But yeah, Green is a compelling option...

Of course, I don't get to vote anymore...nor do I get to vote in the Dutch election tomorrow...

I would like Chapman out of city hall, but I'd also like the NDP (and frankly, everyone) to learn a lesson about running anti-housing candidates.
(11-21-2023, 01:30 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote:
(11-21-2023, 01:12 PM)jeffster Wrote: So both Liberals and PC's selected people from outside the city. Interesting. Looks like neither care.

The Greens are taking this election very seriously. The Kitchener Centre Federal Green Party meeting on the weekend was attended by MP Mike Morrice, party leader Elizabeth May, deputy leader Jonathan Pedneault, provincial Green MPP Mike Schreiner and of course Aislinn Clancy. Having the Green Party representing Kitchener Centre at both the Federal and Provincial level would be quite an accomplishment.
(11-20-2023, 09:58 PM)bravado Wrote:

Surely he's just trolling?
(11-21-2023, 01:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-21-2023, 01:30 PM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote: This comment is Ainsley Clancy erasure!

It's not impossible...

Of course, I don't get to vote anymore...nor do I get to vote in the Dutch election tomorrow...

I would like Chapman out of city hall, but I'd also like the NDP (and frankly, everyone) to learn a lesson about running anti-housing candidates.

Strong need to get Chapman out of City Hall. None of the candidates are going to have any power at Queens Park anyway, so it's a win. Chapman is anti-housing and has probably cost this city hundreds of millions of dollars.
(11-21-2023, 10:40 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-21-2023, 01:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It's not impossible...

Strong need to get Chapman out of City Hall. None of the candidates are going to have any power at Queens Park anyway, so it's a win. Chapman is anti-housing and has probably cost this city hundreds of millions of dollars.

And what of the next federal and provincial election. What if she puts Ford in power for another term. Of worse, Polieve.

That’s a much bigger threat.

At city hall She’s just one vote. It wasn’t just her who killed those projects. removing her won’t necessarily fix anything.

Vote for the best candidate to represent Kit-Cen at Queen's Park and worry about vacating the council seats we don't like when that comes around again.

The idea that an NDP back bencher like Chapman has any material influence over a Ford majority gov compared to a Green MPP confuses me too. I would argue a more semi-independent MPP is going to have an outsized chance to make Kitchener's voice heard than Chapman as part of a powerless minority chorus.
(11-22-2023, 12:59 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Vote for the best candidate to represent Kit-Cen at Queen's Park and worry about vacating the council seats we don't like when that comes around again.

The idea that an NDP back bencher like Chapman has any material influence over a Ford majority gov compared to a Green MPP confuses me too. I would argue a more semi-independent MPP is going to have an outsized chance to make Kitchener's voice heard than Chapman as part of a powerless minority chorus.

I'm not sure if this was in reference to what I said, but that wasn't my point.

Chapmans NIMBYism record has already been pointed out by the other parties. If she wins the NDP learns they can run an anti-housing candidate and win. This is of course wrong, and anti-housing stances are going to play very badly with young people (i.e., the people the NDP, Green, and Liberals NEED to motivate to vote to win). If they instead learn that fielding an anti-housing candidate is a losing strategy, maybe they become marginally more careful in picking candidates in the future.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »