Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Politics Discussion
(03-21-2022, 04:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote: One would be wise to prepare for suffering regardless of who wins the upcoming provincial and next federal election.  Dark days ahead ...

There won't be any federal election anytime soon though, NDP and Liberals are pals now.

(03-21-2022, 02:12 PM)ac3r Wrote: Doug Ford/PCPO are still polling higher than any other party. If they win (and I am pretty certain they will), we deserve all of the suffering coming our way.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8693933/ontar...oll-march/

We'll get suffering not matter who wins. Look at the shit-show Mc-Wynne gave us.

And frankly, I think Ford is a little bit of an idiot, though at least he appears to try at time. That said, Andrea and Stephen would be a lot worse, IMHO.
(03-22-2022, 12:54 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 02:12 PM)ac3r Wrote: Doug Ford/PCPO are still polling higher than any other party. If they win (and I am pretty certain they will), we deserve all of the suffering coming our way.

We'll get suffering not matter who wins. Look at the shit-show Mc-Wynne gave us.

And frankly, I think Ford is a little bit of an idiot, though at least he appears to try at time. That said, Andrea and Stephen would be a lot worse, IMHO.

Hard pass on DoFo.  Even while wading our way through pandemic, he still managed to show is hand: is large scale privatization of the public sector.  Honestly, how can a government that installed a private school lackee as the boss of public education be taken seriously?   I honestly don't understand how they are polling so high....it is baffling, and concerning.  If i wanted to live somewhere under the American model I'd just move to America and enjoy the weather.
(03-22-2022, 09:31 AM)myfaceisonfire Wrote: Hard pass on DoFo.  Even while wading our way through pandemic, he still managed to show is hand: is large scale privatization of the public sector.  Honestly, how can a government that installed a private school lackee as the boss of public education be taken seriously?   I honestly don't understand how they are polling so high....it is baffling, and concerning.  If i wanted to live somewhere under the American model I'd just move to America and enjoy the weather.

Totally agreed. I knew well before he got elected Premier that he was totally unsuited for the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piiHC0XFgOA

Of course, anybody who was awake at the time has known since 2010 that neither of the Ford brothers has/had any business being in charge of anything.

Doug Ford only looks good at all because he turned out not to be a Trumpist, especially when it came to the pandemic.

The best realistic outcome from the next election is that we go back to normal run-of-the-mill Liberal incompetence as we had under McGuinty and Wynne. I still don’t understand why people won’t give the NDP more of a chance. Bob Rae was nowhere near as bad as people remember, and giving a different bunch of fools a chance once in a while isn’t such a bad idea; it might keep the usual fools a bit more on their toes.
It comes down to leadership. Apart from the Greens, the leaders are all terrible and should be replaced yesterday, but people are complacent, or intentionally blind to the individual's shortcomings.

If the PCs are elected to a majority, I would hope Horwath and Del Duca would be gone immediately following the election giving the parties a chance to do some actual soul searching and determine who they want to be and what type of leader will best be suited for that vision.

If the PCs are elected to a minority, I would hope the NDP and Liberals can come up with a reasonable plan to limit the incompetence that we've seen over the past 4 years and maybe help get some remediation through the legislature to help repair the damages as best they can.

If any other scenario happens, stranger things have happened... but anything can happen in politics.
(03-22-2022, 12:45 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 04:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote: One would be wise to prepare for suffering regardless of who wins the upcoming provincial and next federal election.  Dark days ahead ...

There won't be any federal election anytime soon though, NDP and Liberals are pals now.

More time to prepare ...
As I heard of one more Waterloo councillor not running again this year (Angela Vieth), I wondered if there will be a thread starting on municipal election stuff? Or should I just use this space for now? If my count is correct, we are up to four vacant seats on Waterloo council this election.

(03-22-2022, 12:54 AM)jeffster Wrote:

At the time I assumed that the PC party would let Doug do his own thing on camera and govern semi-sanely in the background. I've been proven pretty wrong on that so far Sad
(03-22-2022, 06:45 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: As I heard of one more Waterloo councillor not running again this year (Angela Vieth), I wondered if there will be a thread starting on municipal election stuff? Or should I just use this space for now? If my count is correct, we are up to four vacant seats on Waterloo council this election.

Wow...that's a huge turnover in CoW...I wonder why, but more, I worry about who will replace these progressive members of council.
It is a really strange exodus...usually I'd say that something like this indicates problems at the top, but in this case, the top is also moving on.  The pandemic has made a lot of people people reevaluate things though, so maybe it is as simple as that.
Or, I they aware there will be some unfavorable decision (budget increases etc) coming down the pipe in the future and they don't want to be associated to it. Unfavorable and difficult decisions are not for everyone.
(03-23-2022, 09:07 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Or, I they aware there will be some unfavorable decision (budget increases etc)  coming down the pipe in the future and they don't want to be associated to it.  Unfavorable and difficult decisions are not for everyone.

I'm not sure how to interpret that. If there were difficult decisions coming, I'd want to be part of them, frankly, I don't trust other people to make hard decisions.
I have no evidence, I am just saying that the out going people might be aware of some issues that need to be dealt with, and they might want to get out.. Simply a suggestion.

(03-22-2022, 09:59 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Bob Rae was nowhere near as bad as people remember (...)

Rae was probably the best premier Ontario has had since I can remember (and I recall Davis, Miller, Peterson, Rae, Harris, Eaves, McGuinty, Wynne and Ford). He had the misfortune to win an election during the 1990 recession. A class act during and after his premiership, including his international roles.
(03-23-2022, 10:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 09:59 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Bob Rae was nowhere near as bad as people remember (...)

Rae was probably the best premier Ontario has had since I can remember (and I recall Davis, Miller, Peterson, Rae, Harris, Eaves, McGuinty, Wynne and Ford). He had the misfortune to win an election during the 1990 recession. A class act during and after his premiership, including his international roles.

I remember my brother watching the election results coverage on a tiny black and white TV (obsolete at the time, in 1990; it was just what he had in his room), and my mom expressing the idea that Rae never thought he would ever be Premier (as NDP leader).

Then if I recall correctly the unions were unhappy with his performance and dropped him in it at the next election. Nice play, dummies! Hope you enjoyed the Common Sense Revolution! Next time, try to understand the difference between opposition and power. Rae did.

And now we again are in the situation where not enough people want to give the NDP a chance. So we just alternate between Liberal incompetence and Conservative lunacy. It’s not that the NDP would bring about utopia, but they would provide a different perspective and allow for more interesting debates (in particular, a Liberal official opposition to an NDP government would I think produce some very healthy debate and discussion, leading to better legislation than either would produce with a Conservative opposition).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »