Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
195 Joseph | 2fl | Allied REIT | Complete
(02-08-2016, 02:58 PM)Owen Wrote:
(02-08-2016, 12:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That's definitely good news for the downtown, even though for Kitchener overall it's fairly neutral (Deloitte currently has a fairly large facility near Sportsworld).

Here's the article link:   http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6267...de-house-/

Has anyone seen renderings?  Curious whether it's entirely within the existing building, or if a building is being enlarged.  We need a 195 Joseph thread!

(12-31-2015, 06:51 PM)Lens Wrote: Hopefully they follow through on some of these conceptual elements!

[Image: df07f509e7994ba38cb68b145323f859.jpg]

[Image: 1efc2f2da6614ff78101e01a866e156a.jpg]

[Image: b486678faad240e5ae79d65a44fd3150.jpg]
[Image: d8de028749e14d67a748b7b8c12b8571.jpg]

There were these, form a while back. I love how they look, but will be quite disappointed if this is all that comes to fruition. They've got a large plot of land, directly in the downtown core, but only 1/6th of the plot is being used, and for only a single floor. Quite a waste. Hopefully they expand on this and make it even bigger.

(02-08-2016, 03:13 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(02-08-2016, 02:58 PM)Owen Wrote: Here's the article link:   http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6267...de-house-/

Has anyone seen renderings?  Curious whether it's entirely within the existing building, or if a building is being enlarged.  We need a 195 Joseph thread!

(12-31-2015, 06:51 PM)Lens Wrote: Hopefully they follow through on some of these conceptual elements!

There were these, form a while back. I love how they look, but will be quite disappointed if this is all that comes to fruition. They've got a large plot of land, directly in the downtown core, but only 1/6th of the plot is being used, and for only a single floor. Quite a waste. Hopefully they expand on this and make it even bigger.

I saw those before - they look nice, but noted that they are older and also agree with hope that the development is larger.    I did a screen cap from Kitchener's onpoint map tool and it illustrated the property makeup - as far as I know 101 Victoria has a separate owner entirely.  Looking only at the 189-195 Joseph property I believe this structure covers about 1/4 of the property - but still lots of room to make it bigger - I would hope it at least becomes 2-3 stories on top of the existing and perhaps extending to the rear towards the chimney.

[Image: VO3mvIQ.jpg]

[Image: Nt5mH5Y.jpg]
It doesn't appear there will be major external changes, apart from the entrance; quoting the Record article:
Quote:Deloitte's regional office current employs 170 people in 28,000 square feet of space. It expects to have at least 200 people working in the new offices when they are ready in September 2017. The space at 195 Joseph St. will be a little smaller than the current location, but it will accommodate more employees with its open and collaborative work spaces.
(...)
Allied will spend more than $10 million on redeveloping 195 Joseph and building a surface parking lot between the building and Victoria Street. Deloitte signed a lease to be in the space for at least 15 years. The building will undergo a complete restoration and retrofit with only modest changes to the exterior.

"We are going to do a little bit of new work in the middle to create what I think will be a spectacular entrance to that heritage space," Emory said. "It is going to be a comprehensive restoration. It is very expensive."

200 more people working downtown is definitely good news, it's part of the virtuous circle.
I somehow missed part of the article until you just quoted it - it sounds like they must have purchased the land fronting Victoria:

Quote:... and building a surface parking lot between the building and Victoria Street.
(02-08-2016, 04:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The space at 195 Joseph St. will be a little smaller than the current location, but it will accommodate more employees with its open and collaborative work spaces.

Fewer closed-door offices. Smaller cubes.

I guess 101 Victoria has the same owner, then. Shame to hear of a surface parking lot being installed fronting Victoria here. Great to hear of 200 more employees downtown.
Deloitte wants to show us how it can represent "innovative business solutions" to maximize potential. Their showcase of this is to take what should be one of the densest areas of the region and to develop it to have TWO usable floors. Undecided That's not the message I would want to send, especially since they're deciding how this should be built.
(02-08-2016, 04:23 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Deloitte wants to show us how it can represent "innovative business solutions" to maximize potential. Their showcase of this is to take what should be one of the densest areas of the region and to develop it to have TWO usable floors. Undecided That's not the message I would want to send, especially since they're deciding how this should be built.

Tend to agree - however, Oak st. is called out as an 'established neighborhood' in the city policy documents and developments abutting it need to be sensitive (compatible) with that. However, I wouldn't think that would stop them from building something at least 4-5 stories tall with terracing towards Oak (and the two houses on the corner of Oak and Linden), nor would it stop them from expanding into the rear lot where the chimney is located. I honestly can't imagine the development not expanding to the rear to somehow incorporate the "heritage chimney"

I think it will be like the attached pictures - they were included in the media release from Allied REIT today:

http://alliedreit.com/wp-content/uploads...8-2016.pdf
Keep an eye on 195 Joseph:

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/all...orkzonecam
(12-19-2016, 06:51 PM)Lens Wrote: Keep an eye on 195 Joseph:

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/all...orkzonecam

...and 100 Victoria in the background!
Thank you for that! I have been looking for Kitchener webcams everywhere.
Thanks for posting that. I find these cool, and I'm not sure why more projects don't use them.
Windows are in - looking good!

[Image: k9FJ1qY.jpg]

This must be complete, cause the camera has stopped working Sad
(11-09-2017, 02:06 AM)Square Wrote: This must be complete, cause the camera has stopped working Sad

I was just thinking the other day that it's been a long time since we've seen an update.  

The Cambridge Memorial Hospital expansion is another big project that has seen limited attention, istm.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »