Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Winter Walking and Cycling
And that's the point, Canard. Transportation options should be accessible in winter. But we divide them into plowing roads, plowing sidewalks, plowing cycling lanes, and plowing transit stops, when really, it should all be plowing transportation routes, and the elements needed to make a transportation choice accessible. There shouldn't be a difference, just like with marriage, whoever the lovebirds are.
And likewise I should be able to enjoy riding my bike 5000 km a year and not be made to feel like I’m a horrible person for also having a car so I can drive 10 times that distance in the same interval, exploring this beautiful country of ours in places where transit doesn’t reach.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
I hope absolutely no one feels like a horrible person reading this thread (unless they are personally responsible for not making transportation available to all), in just the same way I don't feel horrible on the roads threads even though I'd rather be at the dentist than driving any distance.
(01-11-2018, 05:30 PM)Canard Wrote: And likewise I should be able to enjoy riding my bike 5000 km a year and not be made to feel like I’m a horrible person for also having a car so I can drive 10 times that distance in the same interval, exploring this beautiful country of ours in places where transit doesn’t reach.

Indeed, society seems so intent on categorizing people as 'cyclists' or 'drivers' when someone like yourself fits easily in both categories. It's very short-sighted.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
Or me. I drive hundreds of kilometers a month, have driven from sea to shining sea, put plenty of kilometers on the bike in the summer (maybe winter in time...), and currently walk half an hour to and from work each day. But what am I? Someone who needs to transport himself from place to place, and so I want support for all transportation modes, and we're decidedly behind in all ways that don't begin with automobile transportation. Which is not an attack on or demonization of drivers, just a statement of the reality, that all other modes need increased attention and increased efforts in ways driving doesn't.
(01-11-2018, 06:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: [quote pid='47121' dateline='1515706220']

Indeed, society seems so intent on categorizing people as 'cyclists' or 'drivers' when someone like yourself fits easily in both categories. It's very short-sighted.

[/quote]

I don't understand why this often comes up in these threads . If you can point to a single post in this one in which someone categorized people as 'cyclists' or 'drivers,' or blamed 'drivers' for the uncleared sidewalks or bike lanes, I'd be very interested.

It almost goes without saying that the vast majority use cars for most of their transportation, and a strong majority use cars for all of their transportation. Motoring doesn't need a lobbying group. It does have them, but it certainly doesn't need to be brought up in the 'Winter Walking and Cycling' thread every second page that we're talking about winter walking and cycling, and not winter motoring.
I didn't say 'this thread', I said 'society'. The wider media and public sphere are those I'm criticizing, not anyone here that I know of.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
Fair enough. I thought the conversation was about folks here demonizing drivers, or something along those lines. I don't think society at large does a lot of demonizing of drivers, either, but you're definitely right that it's inclined to label people, even when the majority of do the majority of our traveling by car.
(01-11-2018, 03:22 PM)jamincan Wrote: The thing that irks me is that the landscape service almost certainly has business clients who do get their parking lots cleared as soon as snow starts to accumulate. Evidently clearing for transit, which thousands of people depend on, is a lower priority than commercial clients.

I'm biased as I'm associated with people who are very closely associated with Forestell, and have close connections to other landscaping companies who do snow removal. I have two things to add to this:

In scenarios like these, don't blame the contractor for meeting their service agreement, blame the people who set the service agreement. If the agreement with GRT was for stops to be cleared within 24 hours of 10mm of snowfall (or whatever), that's what the contractor would do and in fact I suspect most contractors would love to do that as they'd probably be able to charge more.

It was deeply frustrating to walk through the piles of snow on the sidewalks around Kaufman lofts while watching a plow truck clear out the parking lot. The sidewalk snow was eventually removed, but long after the lot was cleared.
(01-12-2018, 01:55 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 03:22 PM)jamincan Wrote: The thing that irks me is that the landscape service almost certainly has business clients who do get their parking lots cleared as soon as snow starts to accumulate. Evidently clearing for transit, which thousands of people depend on, is a lower priority than commercial clients.

I'm biased as I'm associated with people who are very closely associated with Forestell, and have close connections to other landscaping companies who do snow removal. I have two things to add to this:

In scenarios like these, don't blame the contractor for meeting their service agreement, blame the people who set the service agreement. If the agreement with GRT was for stops to be cleared within 24 hours of 10mm of snowfall (or whatever), that's what the contractor would do and in fact I suspect most contractors would love to do that as they'd probably be able to charge more.

It was deeply frustrating to walk through the piles of snow on the sidewalks around Kaufman lofts while watching a plow truck clear out the parking lot. The sidewalk snow was eventually removed, but long after the lot was cleared.

I agree, the problem is the agreement.  

What frustrates me the most, is that the agreement basically gives 5 days, which in this case was enough to a) simply wait for it to melt, or b) wait for the next storm.

I'd say this is almost a "pretend" level of service in that it rarely actually means anything.

The Kaufman lofts was another very annoying situation, their parking lot was clear but the sidewalk on King was never plowed all winter (until now maybe, I haven't been by in a few days).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  Cycling in Waterloo Region Spokes 2,469 872,195 Yesterday, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Pheidippides
  Walking in Waterloo Region ookpik 1,073 546,126 Yesterday, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Spokes
  Cycling in Waterloo Region Spokes 35 24,027 08-31-2015, 07:21 PM
Last Post: numberguy