Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Winter Walking and Cycling
(04-22-2018, 08:50 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-21-2018, 11:32 AM)chutten Wrote: In Waterloo, yes. The email address snowandice@waterloo.ca is how we are instructed to submit complaints about non-city-managed sidewalks.

For city-managed sidewalks and trails, the electronic option is @citywaterloo Twitter account. Otherwise you must phone  519-886-2310

Reference: https://www.waterloo.ca/en/living/sidewalkclearing.asp

I do not believe there is anyone answering that email or phone number right now...I have made repeated request for a callback this week and have not received any.  

The ultimate theater.

I reported a string of addresses last week to snowandice@ and they were attended to by the following morning. For whatever that's worth.

@citywaterloo is usually very good about making apologies on behalf of crews clearing trails and sidewalks. Not sure if anything else comes of it, but I can dream.
(04-23-2018, 03:56 PM)chutten Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 08:50 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I do not believe there is anyone answering that email or phone number right now...I have made repeated request for a callback this week and have not received any.  

The ultimate theater.

I reported a string of addresses last week to snowandice@ and they were attended to by the following morning. For whatever that's worth.

@citywaterloo is usually very good about making apologies on behalf of crews clearing trails and sidewalks. Not sure if anything else comes of it, but I can dream.

Not sure what you mean by apologies?

All I know is I called the snow and ice desk three times, leaving my name and number and received no call back.
(04-23-2018, 04:02 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Not sure what you mean by apologies?

I occasionally tweet to @citywaterloo and someone apologizes that the trails and sidewalk I am complaining about are unsafe, unpleasant, or unpassable. Sometimes the crew are running behind or are dealing with an unusual amount of snowfall. Sometimes it is just a straight-up apology and a promise that they'll pass the complaint along.
I have usually gotten a good response from @citywaterloo too, but I tweeted at them last week and got nothing back.
(04-21-2018, 11:38 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: In Kitchener you can use the Ping Street app to report potholes and parking complaints.

You could simply report a pothole on the sidewalk and they'd have to clear the snow to check for the pothole. 

Big Grin

\off topic : Reminds me of this:

Some Jokester Wrote:Hello, is this the Sheriff's Office?'

'Yes What can I do for you?'

'I'm calling to report 'bout my neighbor Virgil Smith....He's
hidin' marijuana inside his firewood! Don't quite know how he gets it inside them logs , but he's hidin' it there.'

'Thank you very much for the call, sir.'

The next day, the Sheriff's Deputies descend on Virgil's house. They
search the shed where the firewood is kept. Using axes, they bust open every piece of wood, but; find no marijuana. They sneer at Virgil and leave.

Shortly, the phone rings at Virgil's house.

'Hey, Virgil! This here's Floyd....Did the Sheriff come?'

'Yeah!'

'Did they chop your firewood?'

'Yep!'

'Happy Birthday, buddy!'
The city is listening (well, at least Kitchener):
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/859...ring-test/
@tomh009 . That is big news, although the pilot is likely to be limited in scope....2 more years of uncleared sidewalks.

Still, I'm very happy to see progress. City of Waterloo is on notice.
(05-10-2018, 09:57 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: @tomh009 . That is big news, although the pilot is likely to be limited in scope....2 more years of uncleared sidewalks.

Still, I'm very happy to see progress.  City of Waterloo is on notice.

I realize it will be slow. But slow movement is much, much better than no movement at all.

They recognize the problem, and they accept that they need a solution. That's the first step, isn't it? Wink
The new minimum maintenance standards for municipal highways are out.

It looks as if bike lanes are no longer allowed to be used as snow storage. There are new requirements for sidewalks. I don't think MUTs would be covered. So all those new MUTs that have been installed along side roads don’t need to be cleared (as they are not sidewalk, or road, or bicycle lane).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(05-12-2018, 08:30 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The new minimum maintenance standards for municipal highways are out.

It looks as if bike lanes are no longer allowed to be used as snow storage. There are new requirements for sidewalks. I don't think MUTs would be covered. So all those new MUTs that have been installed along side roads don’t need to be cleared (as they are not sidewalk, or road, or bicycle lane).

To be honest, I don't expect any change WRT bike lanes.  The city already claims that they plow bike lanes, even though they in no way do.  But between the narrow width of many bike lanes, potholes and other surface issues, it really is pretty impractical to plow them.  I think cities will continue to "pretend" like they do, without making any actual changes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »