Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Poll: How do you (or would you) access this site or other forums on a mobile device?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mobile version of the website
68.42%
13 68.42%
Tapatalk
5.26%
1 5.26%
ForumRunner
0%
0 0%
Other third-party app
0%
0 0%
I don't access forums on a mobile device
26.32%
5 26.32%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile Access
How do you (or would you) access this site or other forums on a mobile device?

More and more people are using mobile devices as their primary device.  I want to set up mobile usage in the next little bit.  Given that I'm curious how people would access this site, or other online forums.  Through a mobile version of the site?  Using third party app like Tapatalk or Forumrunner?  Or maybe you don't use a mobile device to access forums.

I know WW had a mobile app, but the free version only let you look, not post. And it was not very user-friendly, at least not on a previous generation BlackBerry.
DHLawrence Wrote:I know WW had a mobile app, but the free version only let you look, not post. And it was not very user-friendly, at least not on a previous generation BlackBerry.

They did? I had no idea.

As of right now I don't see us getting our own app (mainly for financial reasons) so I'm exploring other options.
Never tried it so I don't know its limitations, but I've heard of an app called Tapatalk being used for message boards.
It wasn't its own map but an app that provided access to a number of compatible fora, one of which was WW. I couldn't find the name unfortunately.
KevinL Wrote:Never tried it so I don't know its limitations, but I've heard of an app called Tapatalk being used for message boards.

I've played around with it. It's easy to use. That's why I included it in the poll
I view the site normally on my computer at work... only using my Z10 for viewing images that are blocked by the company computers (imagebucket/flickr/etc.). Sad

Coke6pk

I would far prefer that instead of doing an app, we get an "m." address for the mobile site to be used in mobile browsers. There has to be a stock bbcode mobile UI somewhere out there we could use for this purpose.
There's phpBB themes available now that are responsive, meaning that they automatically adapt to the width of the screen being used. Users on a desktop get a full desktop experience, and users on mobile get a nice mobile site, all from the same URL with the same features (it's just smart CSS). It's better than having a separate mobile site that's m.waterlooregionconnected.com or similar. A good example would be http://demo.rockettheme.com/phpbb-styles/vermilion/ , try resizing your browser window and you'll see it change.
I'm actually considering using a different forum software in the near future. With it, or even with phpbb, there are plugins available to automatically detect that you're on your mobile device and go to a mobile version of the site.
If you haven't voted in this please do. This information is very valuable for us.
Tapatalk is a fairly easy integration, the one advantage that it does have is that you can receive notifications for forum updates via a push notification. Other than that mobile web is just as good and allows for site specific customization, so it can look and behave however you'd like.
neonjoe Wrote:Tapatalk is a fairly easy integration, the one advantage that it does have is that you can receive notifications for forum updates via a push notification. Other than that mobile web is just as good and allows for site specific customization, so it can look and behave however you'd like.

I've played around with TapaTalk and that's a feature I really like.

I'm giving tapatalk a trial run but I can't seem to get it to add this forum. Any tips?
KevinL Wrote:I'm giving tapatalk a trial run but I can't seem to get it to add this forum. Any tips?

I haven't installed the plugin. I wanted to see if people actually use the app first.

I'll do it this morning.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »