Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
The Gaslight District | completed
Have you actually been to this site, walked through the buildings and around the property? These buildings are amazing and would be a great contrast and compliment new buildings. Take a visit to the distillery district in Toronto to see what is possible.

(01-29-2017, 11:42 AM)creative Wrote: Have you actually been to this site, walked through the buildings and around the property? These buildings are amazing and would be a great contrast and compliment new buildings. Take a visit to the distillery district in Toronto to see what is possible.

I go every once in a while to the antique/consignment shop. It's old, cold, drafty, nothing special.
I am a big fan of the buildings in their current form but also believe that they could contribute to creating a unique mixed use development.
Was just at The Patch on the next block over from these, and they're shutting down / moving over to Main St. Asked one of the employees about it, apparently the entire building / block that The Patch is on was bought in addition to the Southworks buildings! But I don't remember seeing anything about the inclusion of those properties in the Gaslight development? Future development? Wonder if there's still talk of a branch of Google moving in there...
Electrical utility will call Gaslight District home

Quote:The head office of Energy+, the hydro utility serving customers in Cambridge, North Dumfries and Brant County, will move into the mixed-use development that's planned for the historic Southworks and Tiger Brand properties in Galt in early 2020.

[...]

More than 70 Energy+ employees — office and administration staff consolidated from Bishop Street and Thompson Drive — are expected to move there in early 2020. The Bishop Street property will be retained for operations and engineering staff; that site also houses a garage and inventory storage. There's also a second operations centre in Paris. Energy+ employs 140 people in total.

[...]

With more than $100 million in investment expected to bring it to life, the Gaslight District will blend old and new, with plans calling for two residential towers rising above a public square lined with restaurants, shops and cultural amenities.

The former Tiger Brand property will house Grand Innovations, a tech hub that will partner with Conestoga College on applied research in such areas as e-waste recycling and cybersecurity. The Grand Innovations space is expected to be ready early next year.

Elsewhere, site work is expected to begin later this year with full-scale construction anticipated to begin next spring, Doherty said.
Wait, did we jump from "this development will destroy Galt" to it happening?
It sounds like the antique market has a backup plan; they had signs posted last time I was there to that effect. Either they aren't moving like the rest of the outlets or they have a new location planned already.

Is the treed area next to their current location undevelopable?
I was at Southworks this weekend. They are moving across the river to Water Street in June. Not sure of the exact address. I also did not ask about the fate of their existing building.
Not too many options. Maybe the Carnegie Library or Ray Electric, unless Food Basics is moving.
A heritage impact assessment says the project's towers will not negatively impact the site's heritage value.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/731...port-says/
Cambridge councillors approve Gaslight District proposal

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitch...-1.4151452
Great to see this approved.

Adding the render here.

Attached Files Image(s)

Not entirely thrilled about taking out so much of the front building. Is there a structural issue, or are they doing it just because they can?

I can't tell from the proposal; is the partly demolished building in the middle being repurposed or are they clearing it out?
The Record's information page about this development. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/737...e-council/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »