Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
357 King St East
(02-08-2017, 08:52 PM)embe Wrote: Doesn't look like a very permanent building, does it?

Sure it does - weren't building codes recently relaxed to allow larger and taller wood-framed buildings?
(02-08-2017, 09:36 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(02-08-2017, 08:52 PM)embe Wrote: Doesn't look like a very permanent building, does it?

Sure it does - weren't building codes recently relaxed to allow larger and taller wood-framed buildings?

2-storey wood frames have always been allowed!
Now fully framed, bar the roof.

Why would they close a business and tear down a building just to put up a building the exact same size?
The business was closing anyway. The building had poor structure and an unworkable layout, I understand, but the footprint was the right size. So they dore down the above-ground structure and put in this configuration instead.
Can someone remind me - is this retail on the ground with office space above?
I remember this article written Dec 1, 2012 about how the business was shutting down because the owner received an offer for the property.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/261678...osing-shop

It seems like a long time has passed since then, I wonder if the original redevelopment l plans were more ambitious than what we see today?