Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old maps/plans/designs
I was at the Regional Archives today as part of Doors Open (in the old County Court House facing Weber). They have some amazing items in there, may of which they put on display for the visiting public.

[Image: 1Afbz9x.jpg]

[Image: jx93PCL.jpg]

[Image: qRxYUm5.png]

[Image: Gf3DZly.png]

[Image: 2LKLBwR.png]

This one stood out to me the most - a plan for suburban growth of Berlin and Waterloo from over a century ago. (West is at the top, here.) Some very ambitious subdivision designs, and a set of ringing boulevards, none of which really matches anything that was built to my knowledge.

[Image: A9qt63t.jpg]

(09-17-2016, 06:59 PM)KevinL Wrote: This one stood out to me the most - a plan for suburban growth of Berlin and Waterloo from over a century ago. (West is at the top, here.) Some very ambitious subdivision designs, and a set of ringing boulevards, none of which really matches anything that was built to my knowledge.

I've seen that online somewhere, overlaid on a current map. Will take a stab at locating it again.

Edit: Here, as City of Greater Berlin 1914. Unfortunately they're using an ancient plugin that won't work in many browsers now. Also unfortunately, they've broken up the data into a zillion files, so the workaround is pretty painful: download all the files from here, and then open the top level 1912_Greater_Berlin_9_317_141.kmz in a KMZ viewer (e.g. Google Earth).
I would love to see someone have a go at overlaying a map of today's roads over top of that one!

I think I can make out King and Victoria streets, here?

Again, north is to the right.

Most KW streets outside the cores are newer than 1914, so there is actually very little congruence.
On the subject of maps, vitacollections.ca has, among other things, several sets of Waterloo fire insurance maps (city, not county; Kitchener doesn't share).

Some time ago, I stitched together the 1942 set (the most complete) using a current map to get the placement fairly accurate. However, the result ends up at 340 megapixels and 86MB, and brings browsers to their knees, so I have no good way to distribute it.
(09-17-2016, 09:45 PM)kps Wrote: Again, north is to the right.

Most KW streets outside the cores are newer than 1914, so there is actually very little congruence.

This image won't load for me.  Is it just me?
(09-18-2016, 12:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: This image won't load for me.  Is it just me?

Better now?

Yes! Thank you!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »