Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Zehr Square renovations
City Hall's Carl Zehr Square could undergo a significant face lift in the coming years.

CBC article talking about some of the proposed changes. http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitch...-1.3706209

Kitchener Councillors have given a preliminary approval for the estimated $7.1 million dollar project.

http://www.570news.com/2016/09/13/estima...7-million/

I wish some consideration would be given to the City Hall's exterior cladding - the spandrel glass is a mess and should, imho, be replaced.
I have been thinking the same thing. Some areas more than others.
The function design is recommended to be approved.

The new cost estimates for Carl Zehr Square has been reduced to $5.5M (estimated cost was $6.4M).

"The combined cost for Carl Zehr Square and College St. is estimated to be $5.74M and the Duke and Young St. phase is estimated to be $3.27M.

The work will be completed "over a minimum of two construction seasons. Carl Zehr Square and College St. will be undertaken in one phase, with Duke St. and Young St. being completed together."

"Several design elements are also intended to address the site constraints and program considerations. For example, seat walls and signage will accommodate the grade changes and provide a functional aspect and eliminate trip hazards.

The water feature will create a shallow pool (50mm maximum depth) with two adjacent lighted and variable height jet zones to provide an interactive element and a significant design feature. This can be easily and relatively quickly drained to accommodate different types of programming. The requirement for an outdoor skating rink is also included within this design.
The proposed stage is a simple design offering improved barrier-free access for users and upgraded electrical connections. It is oriented on an angle towards Gaukel and King St, which allows for larger audiences and better sightlines than the current configuration. In addition, the reconfigured fountain area allows for larger temporary stages to be located near the front door to City Hall, creating a more flexible event space for a wider variety of events.
To address the lack of shade concerns, an increased number and distribution of removable umbrellas have been incorporated into the functional design.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
It seems unfortunate that the stage doesn't incorporate some type of roof or shell.
I wonder who we can talk to in order to advance the previously suggested here idea of changing it to Carlzehrplatz.
Kitchener’s Carl Zehr Square looks at repair costs between $7M-$9M

Quote:A plan to spend from $7 million to almost $9 million to spruce up the aging Carl Zehr Square in front of Kitchener City Hall sparked questions from some councillors Monday. 

Councillors met to go over the details of the city's $99.5 million 2019 capital budget, which maps out spending for things such as land, buildings and equipment. 

Councillors were presented with two plans: a $7-million plan to repair "critical infrastructure," or an $8.8-million plan that would also redesign the square and fountain.
Repairs on the square will be paid for without raising taxes or increasing the city's debt, said Jonathan Lautenbach, Kitchener's chief financial officer. He said staff drew from several reserve funds, and will be using federal gas tax money. The city's parking division will also pay $1.5 million for the repairs to the garage that sits below the square.

Other councillors agreed that the price tag is hefty, but said the work has to be done. Water is leaking into the parking garage; the slabs paving the square are breaking and chipping, causing a risk of tripping or lawsuits; and the equipment for the ice rink and fountain is more than 25 years old.

"I think it's incredibly important that we move forward with this," said Mayor Berry Vrbanovic, who said delays will increase the cost of the work. "This city hall is the heart of our community. It literally has tens of thousands of people here every year."

Here's hoping they don't cheap out.
I hope so too. I can't help but think they realize the importance of the square and it's location so they won't, but I've been wrong before.
Is work expected to begin this summer? Is the design still the same as what was approved in 2017?
I think updates for this project ended up posted in the General thread... but might as well use this one since it exists.

For the last week the signage lighting for the square has been flickering - seemingly an electrical fault. Annoying for something recently built. However that doesn't seem to matter, as now someone has decided to go ahead and destroy part of the signage.

[Image: mJZwX6l.jpg]
Yes I noticed the flickering as well, likely a bad transformer that needed replacing. But this, really. We jist can't have anything nice anymore
(03-05-2023, 10:57 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I think updates for this project ended up posted in the General thread... but might as well use this one since it exists.

For the last week the signage lighting for the square has been flickering - seemingly an electrical fault. Annoying for something recently built. However that doesn't seem to matter, as now someone has decided to go ahead and destroy part of the signage.

Possibly swiped by the snow plough?

(03-06-2023, 01:10 PM)Jefferson Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 10:57 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I think updates for this project ended up posted in the General thread... but might as well use this one since it exists.

Possibly swiped by the snow plough?

They don't look uniformly deformed...

That being said, either the engineering team behind this was really foolish and this sign was made so weak it can be bent and destroyed with simple hand tools like a stick or a rock, or this was destroyed by something larger and more intentionally.

Or maybe it was hit by multiple plows.
Zehr Square is a better name anyhow.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »