Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downtown outdoor spaces
(01-26-2015, 07:50 PM)mpd618 Wrote: Are those buildings paying parkland dedication fees? I don't think a development necessarily needs to have its individual piece of green space, just like it shouldn't need its own dedicated parking garage. But where the parking can be provided by the market, I think fees definitely should be levied on developments in order for the municipality to be able to create park space for the public. Just - that park space better be in the neighbourhood, rather than at the edge of town.

The developers often do pay some sort of green space fee, but it is often negotiated away in lieu of some other development concession.  Alternately, the green space fee is paid, but the City is so backlogged on capital projects that it can be several years before the host neighbourhood sees the improvement that was promised in exchange for the new development.

If there is no space to add green space in a neighbourhood, what should the City do?  Ask the developer to leave some green space, or cobble together enough development fees to knock down another building or two to create a park?

I see that the City has installed the benches at Speakers corner in a new configuration and added an "armrest" in the middle of each bench.  The latter was a suggestion I made to City Hall last year, so I'm pleased that they have responded.  It will be interesting to see if there is any change in the way the space is used as a result of the tweaks.
The one problem with arm rests in the middle of benches is that it limits how one can use the bench. I've also seen two or three arm rests on benches. For instance, if you wish to sit next to someone you're close to, or for instance have your child on the bench next to you, the armrest gets in the way.
(05-19-2015, 03:57 PM)nms Wrote: The one problem with arm rests in the middle of benches is that it limits how one can use the bench.  I've also seen two or three arm rests on benches.  For instance, if you wish to sit next to someone you're close to, or for instance have your child on the bench next to you, the armrest gets in the way.

A parent and small child could share half of one of the Speakers Corner benches in their new configuration.  Sleeping on them would be difficult, however...
Private green space (but publicly accessible), at The Gallery:
[Image: bQWDwkz.jpg]

[Image: ckElGaf.jpg]
Sand Hills Park:

[Image: CBmYVdc.jpg]

[Image: mi90aI9.jpg]
Mike Wagner Green:
[Image: yxyFRry.jpg]

(09-02-2014, 11:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
panamaniac Wrote:I agree.  It is too bad that the Market Village didn't thrive as a commercial area, although it's better than nothing that some of the houses have been renovated recently for residential use.  I think the Market Lane itself would be a good place for an arts and crafts or flea market on Saturdays in the good weather.  Or maybe something different, like a monthly used book market.

[Image: 2eknam1.jpg]

If you follow the local art scene in the region you may have noticed the new gallery that opened up in the market building recently. Quite a few of us involved in art and design are hoping to rekindle a culture of art in this side of downtown. That lane would be perfect if some shared studio space could be opened up for established and upcoming artists. It has the perfect sort of feel for it. Sadly, it's incredibly expensive. I can recall being a brand new 18 year old long ago trying to find anything that I could afford and call a studio, that was bigger than a closet...it's hard!

That said there is a lot of potential on that side of downtown for more cultural stuff to develop over the years. Think Kensington in Toronto. That is, if the city doesn't keep driving everyone out in hopes to reel in more rich kids from the tech sector. Gentrification will really hurt the inner city in there long run if there is no focus on both mid to low income housing and cultural investment.
Just giving this thread a bump as I noticed that new tables and seating have been installed beside the Waterloo County Courthouse, in front of the Regional HQ, and on the patio behind the HQ.

[Image: i4ibko.jpg]

[Image: 2qxlr2f.jpg]

[Image: 13z4805.jpg]
I wonder if there will be any umbrellas or some additional tree plantings for shade. As it is, that patio will get quite warm at lunch,
Those look to be the same tables as in the UpTown Square, which indeed do have integrated umbrella stands in them. With more consistently pleasant weather, umbrellas should come.
(05-19-2015, 06:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 03:57 PM)nms Wrote: The one problem with arm rests in the middle of benches is that it limits how one can use the bench.  I've also seen two or three arm rests on benches.  For instance, if you wish to sit next to someone you're close to, or for instance have your child on the bench next to you, the armrest gets in the way.

A parent and small child could share half of one of the Speakers Corner benches in their new configuration.  Sleeping on them would be difficult, however...

They are designed to not allow the homeless or displaced from having a place that is comfortable and spending days or nights in public spaces.
I understand that that's why benches are designed the way they are. An inexpensive way to treat the symptom rather than being forced to deal with the cause at a higher cost.

Just to note that there was never an issue of homeless people sleeping overnight on benches in open places like Speakers Corner, as far as I know. The hidden away (or at least sheltered) spots where these people did tend to "camp" were being used before the benches were changed, as they continue to be used. The bar was added to address daytime issues, as I understand it, and they seem to have met the objective of obliging people to sit (and share), rather than lie down.
It could use another bench or two, but the new flower garden that has been planted between the Governor's House and the KCL is kinda cute:

[Image: 2jdum1.jpg]

[Image: kqoi9.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »